LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Delivery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Delivery Issues

I was told by my mechanic - who has done good work for me in the past - that the car needed a fuel pump due to a non-starting issue. Fine, got the Walbro 255; and while the problems associated with that went away somewhat, the starting problems came back. Anyway, he looked at it again and said that now it's the fuel pressure regulator but that until I could get it back in I'd just have to do the 'turn the key 4-5 times' trick to get enough fuel up there. Well, that turned into 'turn the key 20 times' to now where it just won't start, it just cranks, sometimes sputters, but won't run.

I can hear the fuel pump go when turning the key, plenty of gas in the car, no SES lights; can a FPR be that fubar'ed that it won't let the car start at all?

I can see where the regulator is, is that something that a mechanically clueless person like myself could change out?

I'm not trying not to tell myself that this mechanic didn't bend me over on this and that it was the FPR to begin with, but this is leaving me with a bad taste especially since he's been up front and honest with me in the past.

Any advice or admonishments are greatly appreciated.

94 Z28 M6
Old 09-12-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If he was a decent mechanic he would know that you can completely diagnose the fuel system with little more than a fuel pressure test gauge to test the fuel pressure.