Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice: Junkyard scammers

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need advice: Junkyard scammers

I guess this is as good of a forum as any to post this as most of us end up going to a wrecker to buy engines and expect some form of honesty from the people we are paying our hard earned money to.

I went there to pick up a '04 Escalade LQ9 engine that supposedly was low mileage and I actually have no idea what they gave me now. The vin number sequence they gave me does not match the sequence at the back of the block. The date on the heads are J for month 2002. So its definitely not a '04 its a '03.

They had a '04 escalade on the rack and said the engine came out of it but stuff did not add up ...red flags were everywhere in retrospect... surface rust on the bellhousing machined surface... which I dismissed as maybe they sold the trans earlier. The coils looked wrong.... they weren't the heat sink type. Now I need to figure out how to find out what they did sell me and how many miles it has on it. As well as whether I would just be better off seeking legal help.

I honestly don't know if they slipped me a LQ4 or a LQ9.

Any ideas any of you have would be appreciated.

Last edited by The stunningman; 09-13-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a set of pistons on TDC and pull the spark plugs. Get a good light and see if the pistons are dished or not.

(Dished=LQ4)
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The yards I buy from are WELL cataloged and they can usually tell me stuff about the car I didn't know (or care to). Each part has a stock or inventory number that can be cross referenced to the vehicle it came from and date it entered their yard - all the way to who dismantled the vehicle. They keep all sorts of data like if they were able to drive the vehicle, if it started, where it was hit, VIN, miles, etc.

The only issue I had was a friend who got shorted some parts once on a large batch order.

Some key elements are knowing what you are looking at, researching it before you buy and never buy sight unseen. Of course the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true..." is always on my mind.

Sorry you feel ripped, maybe you should discuss your concerns with the yard management.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Additional information...

Originally Posted by The stunningman
I went there to pick up a '04 Escalade LQ9 engine that supposedly was low mileage and I actually have no idea what they gave me now. The vin number sequence they gave me does not match the sequence at the back of the block. The date on the heads are J for month 2002. So its definitely not a '04 its a '03.

They had a '04 escalade on the rack and said the engine came out of it but stuff did not add up ...red flags were everywhere in retrospect... surface rust on the bellhousing machined surface... which I dismissed as maybe they sold the trans earlier. The coils looked wrong.... they weren't the heat sink type. Now I need to figure out how to find out what they did sell me and how many miles it has on it. As well as whether I would just be better off seeking legal help.

I honestly don't know if they slipped me a LQ4 or a LQ9.

Any ideas any of you have would be appreciated.
I'm not sure legal counsel is warranted or desired. Some additional information to help ease your mind...
              Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
              9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
              I'm not sure legal counsel is warranted or desired. Some additional information to help ease your mind...
                          I knew 100% it was a 6.0 because of the stamping.

The sequence number at the back DS just above the oil filter is laser etched and should match the vin sequence number.

The block and heads being "J" '02 cements the fact it is a '03 engine. No way did the factory have that old of an engine laying around and if they replaced the engine "under warranty" the new engine should be newer than '04.

I think I'm going to call the owner and have a chat because obviously they have some sort of miscomunication between the front and rear of the shop.
                          Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 AM
                          Launching!

I ran into a similar situation when I bought my 5.3L/4L60e. Was told several times that all parts including wiring, PCM, engine, accesories, tranny, gas pedal, TAC module from a '03 truck. Got home and started checking and found PCM was from an '06. Wiring was from a flex fuel, engine is non flex fuel. Intake was from a cable throttle, had the DBW throttle bolted to it.

Basically I bought it hoping it would be perfect but expecting it to have a problem here or there. I feel like I got a good price even with all the mis-matched parts and have learned a lot about what to look for on these engines in the process.

I guess when you buy salvage this sort of "goes with the territory".
                          Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 AM
                          TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yelp, you need to check the numbers before you buy and get the info in writting.....They should place the vehicles vin on the reciept as well... Even take some pictures too..... You have do your homework before buying and know what parts, ecm, etc works with your setup as well so you know what parts you are lookimg for...... Also I recomend dropping the motor in before your 30 day - 6 month warranty is up..... I know its hard to do sometimes do to money or time constraints but nothing like buying a motor, and then finding out its a piece of **** after the warranty is up a year later. I know sometimes its hard to pass up what seems like a deal but just wait until your ready unless its like a crackhead price that you cain't pass up... I like to buy motors that are in the car and I can fire them up.... When I bought mine(LS2) I went 3 times before I bought it.... Each time are started it and let it run for about 20 mins..... The last time I did my own compression test, and by letting it run, checked for unusual noises, misses, knock, oil pressure, check engine lights, codes,leaks, etc......Hell they have battery chargers there make them jump start it and run that joker.... I even rev'd it up to about 4000-5000 rpms to see... whats the worst that can happen, it can either blow up there before I buy it or blow up at home after I bought it..... I will take the before.....
                          Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
                          9 Second Club

I have my reciept with the "supposed" VIN number stamped on it. The series number on the engine is different as well as being the wrong year, the engine is not the engine that came out of the truck. I am 100% sure of this now. '04 even had the longer head bolts so I am 100% sure GM would not install a '02 engine in the vehicle.

At the point I am now I am sure they would never confess, as I asked a lot of questions initially and they told a lot of lies. I am thinking if they have done this now they have definitely done it before so its times to do some checking. In the end of all of this I will be posting links to info as well as possibly outing these bastards.
                          Old 09-14-2010, 12:06 PM
                          TECH Enthusiast

I have my reciept with the "supposed" VIN number stamped on it. The series number on the engine is different as well as being the wrong year, the engine is not the engine that came out of the truck. I am 100% sure of this now. '04 even had the longer head bolts so I am 100% sure GM would not install a '02 engine in the vehicle.

At the point I am now I am sure they would never confess, as I asked a lot of questions initially and they told a lot of lies. I am thinking if they have done this now they have definitely done it before so its times to do some checking. In the end of all of this I will be posting links to info as well as possibly outing these bastards.
                          The only other possibility is that the orginal donor car blew the factory engine and they got a replacement... But if the salvage yard fronts it off like its OEM then thats another story....

I hate to here that, was the engine in the car? How many miles?
                          Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
                          TECH Enthusiast

I had a similar issue when I bought my LQ9 from LKQ in Shirley MA. They advertised it as a 60k mile motor. When I ran the VIN that came with the motor, it showed a salvage title at 130k miles.

The motor looked perfect inside when I opened it up, but I wound up blowing my budget out of the water with a stroker rotating assembly instead of using the stock short block as I originally planned.

But LKQ did give me $150 off.
                          Old 09-14-2010, 02:49 PM
                          On The Tree

I bought my 4.8/4l60e out of a wrecked 02 crew cab with 44K miles....BS!

When I had it all installed and ready, it wouldnt turn over but about 3/4 way around, took heads off and found about 1lb of rust in the cylinders on the pass side, smaller amount on d/s. anyway, had to pull motor and contact the yard, they gave me a bunch of crap and run around about finding another with 40K miles, yea right. I finally I found a 2005 with 9K miles from LKQ, got the documentation and carfax myself before I spent the money. Engine was way clean. the other yard finally gave me my $ for the motor back but what a @$$ kicking that was.

I learned to turn the motor over when I first get it and do the carfax/research before $ exits my hands.
                          Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM
                          9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
                          The only other possibility is that the orginal donor car blew the factory engine and they got a replacement... But if the salvage yard fronts it off like its OEM then thats another story....

I hate to here that, was the engine in the car? How many miles?
                          Engine was out of vehicle and in a stand. Amazingly this wrecker could not pull a engine in a day, if I checked it out on Tuesday they would pull it Wednesday.I would think the replacement would be newer, wouldn't you?

64k miles so any damage incurred within the 7/70K should be covered by the powertrain warranty.
                          Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 PM
                          TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The motor itself I got from a yard is in good shape and cleaned up nicely (though I haven't started it yet) but I got almost none of the other stuff I should have with it. After three weeks, 49 -yes 49- calls to them and being told everything from it was delivered, it's going out today, it's going out tomorrow, etc etc I finally just disputed the average cost of said missing items with my credit card and got my money back. I should probably check to see that it's and LQ9 and not a 4 though now that I've thought about it. We should start a good/ bad yard sticky or at least thread. Not for bashing but for honest feedback about know good or questionable sellers.
                          Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
                          TECH Enthusiast

Engine was out of vehicle and in a stand. Amazingly this wrecker could not pull a engine in a day, if I checked it out on Tuesday they would pull it Wednesday.I would think the replacement would be newer, wouldn't you?

64k miles so any damage incurred within the 7/70K should be covered by the powertrain warranty.

Thats a tough one, like I said, I like em with the engine in the car..... run it, I will pass if its sitting on the shelf or crate...... but thats just me....
                          Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 PM
                          TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
                          The motor itself I got from a yard is in good shape and cleaned up nicely (though I haven't started it yet) but I got almost none of the other stuff I should have with it. After three weeks, 49 -yes 49- calls to them and being told everything from it was delivered, it's going out today, it's going out tomorrow, etc etc I finally just disputed the average cost of said missing items with my credit card and got my money back. I should probably check to see that it's and LQ9 and not a 4 though now that I've thought about it. We should start a good/ bad yard sticky or at least thread. Not for bashing but for honest feedback about know good or questionable sellers.
                          Ive said the same thing myself a long time ago,we need a thread to post the good, the bad, and the ugly salvage yards.We rate buyer and seller feedback but not auto recyclers it does not make sense to exclude them.
                          Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 PM
                          TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not a pro by any means but it might be possible to put up a separate site limited to doing just that.
                          Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 PM
                          TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Warranty?

I believe the powertrain warranty on any G.M. product is 3 years 36,000 miles from 2006 on down to ?, starting in 2007 they started a 5 year 100,000 mile on the powertrain and a 3/36 on the rest of the vehicle, But in any circumstances all warranties are void once the vehicles V.I.N. number has been registered as a salvage vehicle which is usually right after the insurance company takes posession of the vehicle and then auctions it off to a salvage yard, even if the motor is only a week old and has 10 miles once it has been registered as a salvage any car maker will void the warranty as what they call a "Branded Title"

Quick Reply: Need advice: Junkyard scammers