Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Firebird, LQ4, TH350, Driveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Firebird, LQ4, TH350, Driveshaft Question

I am swapping an LQ4 into my '68 Firebird. I am switching to factory style Camaro small block engine mount brackets, and using these adapter plates. I am using a Chevy TH350 with the same tailshaft length as the original BOP TH350. This may be a dumb question but will this combo reposition the engine from the factory location, necessitating the need to modify my drive shaft length and transmission crossmember? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the answer to your question but if you aren't afraid of a welder, the best thing would be to position the engine and trans so that the trans sat in its original position and then make the mounts so that they will put it there
Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NashFirebird
I am swapping an LQ4 into my '68 Firebird. I am switching to factory style Camaro small block engine mount brackets, and using these adapter plates. I am using a Chevy TH350 with the same tailshaft length as the original BOP TH350. This may be a dumb question but will this combo reposition the engine from the factory location, necessitating the need to modify my drive shaft length and transmission crossmember? Thanks.
I think your going to find that it is going to move somewhat, but the only way to know is to put it in there. You should be able to get the crossmember to work. I believe the holes in the sub-frame are elongated a bit for some front to back adjustment, as are the holes in the center of the crossmember where the mount bolts to. I think between the two you can make it work. As far as the drive shaft just put your yolk in the tranny and measure. I just did up an aluminum driveshaft out of a crown vic and I think it was 47 3/4, measuring from the center of the u joint cups. $110 to have it welded and balanced.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68 RS Convertible
I think your going to find that it is going to move somewhat, but the only way to know is to put it in there. You should be able to get the crossmember to work. I believe the holes in the sub-frame are elongated a bit for some front to back adjustment, as are the holes in the center of the crossmember where the mount bolts to. I think between the two you can make it work. As far as the drive shaft just put your yolk in the tranny and measure. I just did up an aluminum driveshaft out of a crown vic and I think it was 47 3/4, measuring from the center of the u joint cups. $110 to have it welded and balanced.
Where did you have it shortened and balanced? Im up in boston and not many places want to touch aluminum.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To the op, i am in a similar boat, the driveshaft i have is too short, so i bought an f-body shaft and am looking to have it cut and balanced to my exact length.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 68 RS Convertible
I just did up an aluminum driveshaft out of a crown vic and I think it was 47 3/4, measuring from the center of the u joint cups. $110 to have it welded and balanced.
I was also looking at Crown Vic drive shafts. Were the yokes on the crown vic driveshaft compatible with your Chevy U-joints or did you have to modify them somehow?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Where did you have it shortened and balanced? Im up in boston and not many places want to touch aluminum.
Im in Warwick RI, there is a place called Rhode Island Driveshaft. There is also a place in East Providence RI, Cocroft that will do aluminim
Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NashFirebird
I was also looking at Crown Vic drive shafts. Were the yokes on the crown vic driveshaft compatible with your Chevy U-joints or did you have to modify them somehow?
I have a Tremec so the ford yolk fits it, I'm also lucky on the back end because I have a ford 9" rear so I just used all ford stuff. There are u joint's that have both chevy and ford cap sizes, that is what i used when I had my original steel driveshaft. I think I got those u joints from Autozone, or Advanced Auto. If your looking to do an aluminum driveshaft, the crown vic shafts are like 55" long so they can be shortened, and are relatively cheap compared to a Camaro/Mustang shaft.

Quick Reply: 1968 Firebird, LQ4, TH350, Driveshaft Question