Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with reinstalling oil dipstick tube

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with reinstalling oil dipstick tube

This past weekend I installed pacesetter long tubes and poly motor mounts. Everything is back together and I am waiting on my PCM to come back from the mail order tune. The only problem is I can’t get the oil dipstick tube back in. I pulled it out without even looking where the hole was and now I can’t find it. Any advice or pictures of where the hole is? It has to be close to the AC compressor and passenger motor mount but I can’t spot it from any angle.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe its the only open hole right in front of the starter. Just get a light down there and start looking around.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PadenAlbin
I believe its the only open hole right in front of the starter. Just get a light down there and start looking around.
What he said. Right above/infront of starter. I have a pic at home. Let me know if you still need it.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

I must have "f"'d with this for a half hour before it finally popped right in. I had to lay across the engine bay, feel around with one finger till I found it, then guided the tube down alongside my finger. Good luck with the braille method.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the OP has problems finding the hole, hopefully he hits it on the first try once he finds it.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

While you have it out, take that bolt to a hardware store and find the same threaded bolt without the flange on it. With headers, the bolt won't go all the way in. It will secure it from coming out, but it will be loose. FWIW, I still have not replaced the bolt for my dipstick tube and it's been about a year with it that way, but you might as well do it while it's out..
Old 09-15-2010, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HoLLo
While you have it out, take that bolt to a hardware store and find the same threaded bolt without the flange on it. With headers, the bolt won't go all the way in. It will secure it from coming out, but it will be loose. FWIW, I still have not replaced the bolt for my dipstick tube and it's been about a year with it that way, but you might as well do it while it's out..
LOL, I just left my bolt out too, been 3yrs at least now. It wiggles around but never pops out so I havent worried about it.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Had heard that, but fits perfect on my ARH's
Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help everyone. I found the hole and the tube slid in with no problems. I ground down the edge on the bolt but there's not much room to thread it in. I might just leave it out like others have done.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

this thread could have gone so many ways im kinda disappointed in the maturity.... come on guys.... I mean we have steve gunn fingering the hole to find it...then the op finally found the hole and it slid right in....... WTF! how can these comments go unrecognized?

btw just shoulda put some hair around it.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/13377453-post9.html
Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

mine does the same thing i need a longer bolt lol
Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you have it out, take that bolt to a hardware store and find the same threaded bolt without the flange on it. With headers, the bolt won't go all the way in. It will secure it from coming out, but it will be loose. ..
I got my bolt all the way in, tightly and secured.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bene
I got my bolt all the way in, tightly and secured.
Same here
Old 07-21-2015, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry to bump an old thread but with LT's how come it won't thread in all the way? I just had this problem and the bolt started stripping out. I backed it out cause I realized one of the header bolts was loose anyway and I gave up too damn hot out for this **** today.

Quick Reply: Help with reinstalling oil dipstick tube