Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Smoking V6, not typical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking V6, not typical issues.

My 94 Firebird is now running ok, just smoking pretty bad. The smoke doesn't smell like oil. I have replaced the spark plugs and wires, and the compression test was perfect. It still smokes without the exhaust. I have checked everything my stepdad and I can think of, and I'm about to light the thing on fire. ANY ideas are welcome. I may part it out and buy a nice 01 or 02 WS6, but I want a car that I don't have to fix up once a month. How are the T/A's with repairs?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

have u checked for water in the oil ?
also could be a bad intake gasket alowing coolant into the intake port
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do look into a newer TA, they seem to be very reliable, just do the regular maintenance, keep an eye on your rear (they're not very strong), and I'm sure there's more but I can't really think of anything right now. Great cars overall.

As far as the smoke, as mentioned, coolant could be an issue (not a good issue, it's not good to have that stuff leak into oil).
Old 09-16-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have a 3.8 V6, it is more than likely a leaking intake manifold gasket. They can leak directly into the cylinder without dropping anything into the oil. Not an easy fix, but it could be worse. Go ahead and replace the lower intake and upper intake manifold gaskets, install a new thermostat and water pump for that added security.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:34 PM

were the plugs fouled when you changed them(color would help determine if its coolant or oil) without knowing,,id say pressure test the cooling sys to see if its bleeding into the cyls,,,or it could be you have valve seals starting to go out,,just a thought
Old 10-16-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's wierd... i smoke V6s all the time and i don't have any issues. Haha, but realistically, if you are looking into getting a TA, go for it. As for your car, that really sucks. I hope you have some luck finding the problem... and may it only be a 5 dollar part!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:36 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Like BGA says, pressure test the cooling system. If it isn't burning oil then the only other thing would be coolant.

As for T/A reliability, just think of this: F bodies, GM, 1990's-that should give you an idea of their build quality lol...

Quick Reply: Smoking V6, not typical issues.