LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

question about keyless entry for gm's

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about keyless entry for gm's

I have had a issue with the key-less entry/command start since I owned it. What basically goes on is the key-less entry will work for two days or about then just stop.

If I pull the negative or terminal or re-sync it will then again work for 2 days. Ive been Qouted 400 dollars CAD to get this issue fixed.

Is it possible for me to just install a aftermarket command start (Ive seen them cheap as 169 installed) in to handle all the key-less entry and command start? or will it cause issues with the current security system and such?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 PM
FormerVendor

The best thing to do is just buy a new one off of ebay. Type in the code on the back of your remote on ebay and you should find a cheap new replacement. The dealer is still gonna charge you heavy to program it but sometimes you can get lucky and program them yourself. Depends on the car, some need to be done with a dealers scanner some don't. On Fbodies I think you have to hold the power lock button down for 7 seconds with the key in the ignition or something weird like that. Or, just swap out the rubber button pad from the new one into your old remote that's already programmed to your car. Might as well swap out the battery to while your at it. That worked for my last dying remote I had which had the same symptoms you seem to be having.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

There was a recall on the keyless remote module or something.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

there was a tsb on it. bought mine to the dealer and got a bunch of stuff taken care of. my remote start would only work if you were 5 feet away. the swapped it out. works good now. im still under warranty though.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Ive done the warranty swap with the dongle and it continued its old ways lol. Now that's its off warranty I figure the cheap third party starter install is the cure all? Thanks for the replies
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
there was a tsb on it. bought mine to the dealer and got a bunch of stuff taken care of. my remote start would only work if you were 5 feet away. the swapped it out. works good now. im still under warranty though.
This is true. They replace the keyless entry/remote start radio and antenna in the car and also give you new keyfobs.

We had this done and it's worked perfectly ever since. I can sometimes start my car from 200 feet away, depending upon conditions.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

If you open the keyfob up, I'l bet the solder connection on the battery holder has broken away from the circuit board. It will work sometimes, and sometimes it won't. The U-shaped clip that holds the battery in is soldered in two places to the circuit board. When one of the solder joints breaks, the clip can slide up and you lose contact. Re-solder the prongs and I'll bet it works fine.