Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 for a wrangler, couple of ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.3 for a wrangler, couple of ?

Ok long story short I have a 1999 wrangler that I am putting a 5.3 LM7 into out of an 01 Tahoe. While removing the exhaust manifolds one bolt on each side broke off inside of the heads completely flush. Seeing as how I work at a speed shop with a full machine shop that was not an issue. However since the heads were then the motor off I had them milled .035 and now I may as well through a cam in there too. I am aware I can adjust the compression up and down with different head gaskets so really my questions are what size gasket should I go with and about how much compression should I run for 93 pump gas. Also what would be a good cam for that motor without having to go crazy changing everything (lifters, pushrods, ect). I want a nice truck cam that I can drive around on the street but make some nice power too. The jeep has 4.10s and 31's atm and it is getting a 5 speed trans. I am not new to the LS motors as my other toy is a C5, but that car is stock besides a few bolt ons so I hope you guys can help with the internal stuff. Thanks alot for you time
Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Get the thinner graphite stock head gaskets. Least amount of trouble involved, esp. since you had your heads milled already. You're also right about the number where you should start compensating for the milling by also milling the intake face, so a thin head gasket might *just* start to create a intake mismatch. You can run way more than the 10.1 ish you'll have now off of 93 octane. You will probably be able to get away with 87 - 89 since your vehicle isn't very heavy, and is geared accordingly.

Does this jeep ever see off-roading?

If so, I wouldn't consider too much compression or cam, as breaking parts on the trail is never fun. With that in mind, I'd suggest a ls6 (either) cam as a decent increase over the stock one (190/191) or a cam under 220. yellow ls6 springs are cheap and very reliable when used right.

Another thing, since you're there. Depending on the mileage, you should check to see if the lifters aren't gummed stuck. I've seen 2 5.3's (one well maintained, 438,000km, other unknown, said 120,000, looks it) both have had the lifters travel limited by the hardened oil surface. I think this is more a truck engine issue than the cars because of its use and lesser care.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Well yes the truck is going to be going off road, however I am getting the trans and transfer case built. The axles will be replaced and built as needed lol. It will mostly be a street truck with 33's that will go on the beach and a few trips here and there. I know the Ls6 cam is a good choice but I want something that will sound a little bit like a cammed LS should lol. If I use the .010 under gaskets with the .035 milling I have that will be .045 off total. How much compression will I be looking at with that? Any ideas?
Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have it covered durability wise. Your compression will end up ~10.25, with the guestimate of 57cc chambers (..035/.007=5cc's, stock 62cc chambers). You'll have to CC at least one to give you a slightly more accurate number. If you're looking for the lope, the small comp thumpr should definitely give some. Pushrods are almost a must. If you're still looking for more, a good intake like the ls6 (requires accesory changes) or the TBSS/NNBS intakes work with truck accesories and also add power over a stock truck intake, if you have the room.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Teching In

LSJeep, to help you prepare for the swap, take a look at this thread

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735270
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot seems like a great thread I gotta read through now lol. I still have not picked out a cam yet, jeep kinda on hold for a few since my everyday truck just imploded on my and is costing $1200 I didnt budget for lol.....