Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECT thinks its overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ECT thinks its overheating

ok, 96 olds achieva, the problem is intermittent, i will be driving down the road both in traffic and highway situations, and the gauge can be reading normal then it will go from normal operating temp to right before the last tick before the red and i can drive steady, but my 1st day of school i drove my normal 18 miles to school and it was riding right in the middle of the temp gauge, no worries, then it jumped up to maxed out at a stop, the fans are working, everything is gravy, but i didn't notice it, then as i gave it gas it died, i push it up to a safe spot in the parking lot. since i was at school and am in the auto program i ran to the shop, grabbed a tech2 an pyrometer/temp gun, the sensor is on the thermostat housing, the temp on the housing read about 180F, the PCM was reading it at 260F which is high voltage, no SES/DTC codes set any input is appreciated, i believe it it the sensor because it is not totally grounding out or opening

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well id say that you answered your question bud, id say replace the temp sensor.