Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crankshaft turning torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crankshaft turning torque

I am assembling my 6.0 iron block. I had the main bores align honed by a very well known race shop. I was assembling everything and after torquing the mains down the plastigauge showed .002 roughly. After removing the plastigauge and reinstalling the crank with lucas assembly lube I can hardly turn this thing. It extremely stiff to get started turning and then once it starts turning its a little easier. still nowhere near easy to turn though. should I be checking this all with a dial bore gauge instead? I am slightly concerned I will spin a bearing. with a 1.5 foot long wrench I spin the engine slightly in the engine stand before it starts turning and then after than can continue the spin with one hand and pretty heavy pressure. the mains were align honed with the same arp studs that are in the block. i am using stock size bearings. Can anyone shed some light on this? should i be able to spin the crank by bare hand?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

nm I figured it out. helps to have the mains going the right direction on the rear one.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:57 PM
8 Second Club

the crank should spin by hand pretty easy... also on the mains check ur tolerance in 2 spots with the plastic gauge

Quick Reply: crankshaft turning torque