LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Driver side header on, question. Pacesetter guys come in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver side header on, question. Pacesetter guys come in.

Pacesetter headers.

Driver side is on, pretty much bolted on only a couple need better tightening after I get a better wrench. Anyways....the collector on the header is slightly above the floor bump maybe a 1/2" give or take. Is this normal? If its not normal what is that cause, motor mount? I would think it would sag if it was mount.

I have real pics if needed but will be quicker to draw a crappy pic... lol

Last edited by Bowtie Boy; 09-18-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Did you change your motor mounts before you installed the headers?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

How much distance do you have from the collector to the "bump"? The Y-pipe usually is crushed in this area so it will clear.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

No on motor mounts figured would need, 73k on clock.

Not much clearance cant even get Y onto collector.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Beat it with a hammer!!!! Not really. Try putting the Y pipe on before tightening the headers onto the block. Like just loosen a couple bolts on the headers until they wiggle enough, attach the Y pipe, then see if you can get the headers to bolt back up completely. Other than that, only thing I could think of is get a different Y pipe. Are you still using the stock one?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Pacesetter headers and Y. I am more or less wondering if this is a normal thing? Or is the entire collector supposed to be lined under the floor "bump". I know it wont reach that far, I mean how it lines up.

Pics...

Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by evelluser
Try putting the Y pipe on before tightening the headers onto the block. Like just loosen a couple bolts on the headers until they wiggle enough, attach the Y pipe, then see if you can get the headers to bolt back up completely.
^^ x2 This ^^ From the pics it looks like if you can get the car up high enough....then loosen that header enough to get the Y in....then just really pull down hard on the Y to slightly bend the collectors down some. You'd really have to put your weight on it though. Then bolt it all back up.
Where did you buy them? I'd strongly consider sending them back for another set if possible. Most vendors would not have a problem with that. Also, I'd think a sagging motor mount would make it hang lower...not be up to high so with your pics, they shouldn't give you a problem at all.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

I figured if I did loosen the bolts and drop the header a bit it would work seeing the pipe would go over the collector and the flat spot would be where it should be. Did anyone else s sit like this?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

another question, is it only the driver side?

edit: i mean, not to sound like a jackass (or dumbass), but does the passenger side line up alright?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

I don't run pacesetters but, I have an idea to get the headers down to atleast install the Y and see if the bend fits in the right spot. If unbolting the header doesn't work try loosening the transmission cross member bolts. That should sag the motor mounts enough to get the Y-pipe on. If the y doesn't clear after you get it all bolted up I would consider sending those back. It just seems kinda wierd, alot of people run those headers. Like stated before, how is the clearance on the passenger side?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Passenger isn't in yet lol.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Where did you buy them? I'd strongly consider sending them back for another set if possible.
Got em' from a sponsor here, they were back ordered and were a fresh batch from pacesetter (took a month after intial order to get) Not made by hand obviously, some type of computer machine must bend them and there has to be some quality checks.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Teching In

I'd suggest trying the passenger side fit as well. No need to send back both sides if one works fine. And i was gonna say more, but i got distracted and forgot....
Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Mine looked like this (if not worse). I was told it was the drivers side motor mount that causes the front end of the engine to dive which in turn obviously would raise the rear of the engine. Whether or not this is true Im not sure, I reached for the BFH.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lt11994
Mine looked like this (if not worse). I was told it was the drivers side motor mount that causes the front end of the engine to dive which in turn obviously would raise the rear of the engine. Whether or not this is true Im not sure, I reached for the BFH.
You bash that part of the floor in or whatever it is?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
^^ x2 This ^^ From the pics it looks like if you can get the car up high enough....then loosen that header enough to get the Y in....then just really pull down hard on the Y to slightly bend the collectors down some. You'd really have to put your weight on it though. Then bolt it all back up.

Might work enough to clear it. but i would get all the bolts in the head and tight befor trying to pry on it, dont want anything snapping off. very odd...how is the clearance on the steering colum? id say if the steering colum is bad clearance as well then maybe you will have to send it back.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Resident

thats just how this setup is. The pacesetter ory has the flat to acomidate the floor. Thats what i have and it goes together fine.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Honestly man, just run open headers. It'll sound AWESOME.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpeedDensityZ
I don't run pacesetters but, I have an idea to get the headers down to atleast install the Y and see if the bend fits in the right spot. If unbolting the header doesn't work try loosening the transmission cross member bolts. That should sag the motor mounts enough to get the Y-pipe on. If the y doesn't clear after you get it all bolted up I would consider sending those back. It just seems kinda wierd, alot of people run those headers. Like stated before, how is the clearance on the passenger side?
This is pretty much what I did to get mine on.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea it does sit pretty high up there, The y-pipe they make has a dent in it to clear that box brace.

Quick Reply: Driver side header on, question. Pacesetter guys come in.