LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting issue, possibly fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starting issue, possibly fuel?

For the past month or so, it has taken multiple attempts to start the car. I would have to crank it twice before it would fire. Now it takes 3 or 4 attempts. If the car has only sat for say 3 hours, it'll start up fine, but if it sits over night, or while I'm at work, it takes multiple attempts.

Also, if I start the car, say I drive through my apartment complex, then out to the main road, and I have to make an "evasive maneuver" to get into the flow of traffic, the car will miss fire in the upper rpms.

I haven't been able to find my fuel pressure gauge, so right now it's an assumption that my fuel pump is getting weak. I'm also assuming the fuel pump, or the fuel pump hanger has a check valve or something keeping the fuel from returning from the tank.

I've seen the racetronix kits, and checked out advance auto for fuel pumps. Advance pumps come with the pump and hanger and whatnot, where as the racetronix is just the pump, but a walbro pump.

In my case, would I need the assembly, or just the pump?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always had good luck with the Racetronix pump and harness kit, and have done several installs on friend's cars. You are on the right track with your diagnosis though. That fuel pressure gauge is invaluable.