Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting and milling 5.3 heads

Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porting and milling 5.3 heads

I just picked up some 5.3 heads for dirt cheap and im trying to get them ported and milled but i was wondering how far i can have them safely ported and milled? And if im going to need different push rods? These will possibly be used with a Tick polluter cam. and will I have to fly cut to make this work?

Last edited by D01ss; 09-20-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends who ports them and how they are setup as to if it will clear and what pushrods to use. I would assume if you are putting larger valves in the heads, you will more than likely have to cut the pistons. On figuring out the PR length, you will be better off getting a length checker and actually measuring when you get the heads on the car.

If you want to have them ported, we can CNC port and CNC valvejob the heads like our PRC 2.5 5.3L heads and we can upgrade to a larger valve as well if you like. If you have a spring you want to run, send them with the heads and we will install them for you like or you can purchase a set from us and we can assemble the heads for you! Let me know if you're interested and we can get you some pricing!

Jon
Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Launching!

I was wanting to send them out to you guys to get the work done. but my next question is if i keep the stock size valve thats on the heads and get them cnc ported am i going to see any gaines over the stock heads or is it worth just looking into a ls6 head? I only picked these up to up the compression to make up for some lost torque.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's definitely gains to be made by the porting alone. However, the 5.3L heads have a small valve. If it were me, I would definitely put the bigger valves in it. It might be cheaper to buy the new heads from us depending what you are wanting to do. Shoot me a PM if you want w/ your setup and what kind of budget you are on. I might be able to save you some money!

Jon
Old 09-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Launching!

I really would like to keep the 5.3s just to up my compression, but am i going to lose a signifiagant amout power by keeping the small valves? And is it for sure that fly cutting will need to be done with the larger valves or is that something I wont know until I get in there and check for clearance?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porting and milling 5.3 heads