Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with manual valve body on a 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with manual valve body on a 4l60e

i did some work in a 94 4l60e with a manual valve body and now every gear but park is a forward gear including neutral.
when i took the tranny apart almost all of the check ***** had been pushed through the sep plate and it was warped due to someone beating it with a hammer in 2 places. i replaced the sep with a new trans go piece. all holes matched up good accept for one hole that had had been pluged in the old plate. call me dumb but i did not block the hole in the new plate. could this be the reason for all forward gears?
i am in need of some installation instructions but i do not know whos kit it is. could someone tell me who the manufactures of these kits are so i can try to find some instructions on how to block this hole?

all i know about the kit is that it does not have a vac mod.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things. Can you take a picture of the old plate and post it here with the plugs in question? Also are you sure that you connected the manual valve to the shifter rooster cone with the little linkage rod? The second thing I mentioned will cause forward in all gears. Vince
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 AM
11 Second Club

i think i know what he's talking about vince. i believe the part thats blocked off has to do with the 3-4 clutch. i bought the same sorta plate for mine and looked it up, but dont remember exactly what it did for 3-4. i also had me remove 1 of the check ***** (bought that kit through Dana).
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I will post a pic of the sep plate as soon as I get home from work today.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

i might add that i used the plate as is, and w/o the specified check ball and the trans worked fine... aside from the fact that i messed something else up when putting it back together.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

pics as promised
Attached Thumbnails need help with manual valve body on a 4l60e-valve-body-1.jpg   need help with manual valve body on a 4l60e-valve-body-2.jpg   need help with manual valve body on a 4l60e-valve-body-3.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

that is not like the one i have. it had one of the bigger, round holes blocked off
Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

I think you are talking about one of the checkball holes being plugged.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:01 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hole that is blocked is listed in my Hydra-matic book as 1-2 signal oil. Oil is normally seen in all ranges in this circuit in all gears including park and neutral except 2nd and 3rd gears. Not knowing the kit or what else has been done to make this a manual VB, I really can not tell you why you have forward in all gears.

I would normally suspect the the manual valve is not connected with the manual valve link to the inside detent lever also known as the rooster cone. This in most transmissions causes forward in all gears.

To block the hole I would head out to the hardware store and get a piece of aluminum rod close to the size of the slotted hole. I know that you will want it to be in a rectangular size before installing it. I would suggest cutting it down to the length and width to start with and then file it to make it flat on the top and bottom of the slug you are trying to make. You might want to get a couple different sizes and pound the rod flat to make it to the size to fit the hole. Just an idea! Then fabricate accordingly.

You will want to take a small file and chamfer the separator plate so the plug will have something to grab on to on both the case and valve body sides of the plate. Then install the slug into the hole and using a hammer and a hard flat surface(I would use a vise for this) to peen the piece into your plate. Flipping the plate while doing this.

Depending on where the casting on the valve body and case would normally make a gasket impression, you might have to file/sand the aluminum slug flat so it does not create a cross leak. Note you will not want your slug to be to thick or you will have to sand more than you might like! I hope this give you some direction. Vince

Quick Reply: need help with manual valve body on a 4l60e