LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

heated o2 conversion for 93's with LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heated o2 conversion for 93's with LT headers

well, I've been chasing a gremlin around till i'm just plain f'ing tired of it... heres the deal... i didn't know any better but when i installed my LT's instead of buying a harness extension for the PS connection i cut it added 12" of wire and made crush tube connections ,i took my time doing it cause i'm a lil OCD but since then i have had o2 issues...both o2's are new one wire delco's from the stealership...Data master and Solomon confirm the ECM is jumping in and out of closed loop causing part throttle stumble and fuel load up at an idle GOD I HATE IT! when its cold runs great if i unplug'em runs great blm's are low like there isn't an exhaust leak .... theory is that the non heated o2's aren't staying hot enough to function properly since they are further down stream than on stock manifolds"especially the PS" and stainless doesn't retain heat...running with them unplugged and issue is nonexistent,...but being that I'm OCD bout my car it bugs the crap outta me that it isnt running at its potential ..

"problem isn't the O2 or the extensions, it's the lack of a heated O2 on a long tube equipped car. They get moved too far back from the heat and don't stay hot enough."-Solomon @ lt1pcmtuning.com-

So...time to convert to a Heated set up .I could probably build the harness myself but would have to run around nutz looking for connections to make it as stock looking/performing as possible.
Instead,I turned to a member here "Fastbird93" to build my harness and i bought new o2's from a seller on FleaBay.
New O2's arrived in the mail ! got the pair for $53 bucks shipped/received in only two days,with warranty, Not ac/delco's but a direct replacement for PN#25312184... Lets give em' a shot. GM parts direct has the correct afs75 ones for only $35 each if these don't work..
Today i received my new o2 harness that will allow me to run a heated 02 setup,courtesy of fastbird @ fastbirdperf.com for $65 shipped . It looks Professionally built Shipped quick and as described...
gonna tear into this after work for sure!
Here's some pic's of the harness and o2's .
Attached Thumbnails heated o2 conversion for 93's with LT headers-s2010025.jpg   heated o2 conversion for 93's with LT headers-s2010044.jpg  

Last edited by defaultexistence; 08-01-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you had to do is buy the sensors and run a key hot relay and 12 volts to the sensor.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
All you had to do is buy the sensors and run a key hot relay and 12 volts to the sensor.
Close. He was looking for as close to plug and play as he could get.......It's doable like you said, but there's cutting and splicing involved there. He got plug and play save for power and ground connections.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 PM
hashtagBMW

And Sean's harness is really a nice piece, its worth $65.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

True..i could have half-***'d it...maybe it would have lasted a few miles..
I am in the frame of mind to do it once "set it and forget it"
I am happy none the less with my choice on parts for the conversion, Looks factory .Car is now hitting Closed loop before i even get outta my drive and stay's in CL at an idle.Performance has returned and the needed Data Master log for further tuning has been made.
The harness kit had plenty of extra wire allowing me to cut it down to fit how i wanted to rout it .
The new over-stock discount o2's are functioning properly.

"This heated o2 conversion is a must for a single wire non heated 93 Lt1's sporting Long Tubes".
Pic's and a dyno date coming..

Last edited by defaultexistence; 09-20-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you're happy with it. Thanks for the words guys.

FYI, if anyone wants to do a DIY on it, I do have a write up on my personal website: http://www.fastbird93.com/Installati...Conversion.htm Some like doing it themselves, some like having it done for them. Either way, I'm here to help out. It's what I like to do.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
True..i could have half-***'d it...maybe it would have lasted a few miles..
I am in the frame of mind to do it once "set it and forget it"
I am happy none the less with my choice on parts for the conversion, Looks factory .Car is now hitting Closed loop before i even get outta my drive and stay's in CL at an idle.Performance has returned and the needed Data Master log for further tuning has been made.
The harness kit had plenty of extra wire allowing me to cut it down to fit how i wanted to rout it .
The new over-stock discount o2's are functioning properly.

"This heated o2 conversion is a must for a single wire non heated 93 Lt1's sporting Long Tubes".
Pic's and a dyno date coming..

I have done this conversion on single wire o2's in early 90's GM trucks, one is 3 years old with no problems.

I am sure this is a nice kit, it looks as though it is.

If you cant setup a key hot relay and put 12 volts to one wire...you SHOULD have bought this kit.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have done this conversion on single wire o2's in early 90's GM trucks, one is 3 years old with no problems.

I am sure this is a nice kit, it looks as though it is.

If you cant setup a key hot relay and put 12 volts to one wire...you SHOULD have bought this kit.
Kit requires wiring into a key hot relay and 12 volts to two wires..Smarty Pants With the kit comes all the right connections and it is all weather proof and looks stock. (period)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Teching In

I know this is a old thread but could someone tell me if the harness kit is still available?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go to ltxtech.com and find fastbird .
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Been trying , I emailed him from a website and I think I sent a pm on here.wish I could get a hold to him.anyone know if he is still available? Having trouble with that other forum for some reason
Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

And what the hell happened to the speeddensity website for us 93's? I want that 4 wire conversion kit as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thunderracing used to sell a kit with harness and a 4-wire o2. I got one many years ago and it was literally everything you need, and was like $140 shipped IIRC for both sides. Cheap considering it came with two name brand o2s.

**edit** Just checked their site, now they are "Caspers Electronics" branded and $92 bucks a pop, way more expensive then the ~$60 per kit I paid for the unbranded ones...which I think used the same exact product picture .
Old 01-26-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got in touch with fastbird.. He will be with y'all needing shortly.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still here, not on tech much. I'll be in touch via pm shortly.

Quick Reply: heated o2 conversion for 93's with LT headers