Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Went to Bowing Green, ate another clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Went to Bowing Green, ate another clutch

Long 12 hr trip each way to and from Bowling Green Ky. Had a great time but tore up clutch #5 in four years.

1 stock
1 RPS twin
1 RPS single
2 McLeod Street twins
now I need a new single = 6 clutches

I walked the track first, VHT felt decent for 92 degree heat. I hadn't been on the track in this car for a year and a half. By the third run, it felt like I had only been away one week. Damn I love launching a six speed !!

First run was without front skinny tires, real easy launch.
2.1 sixty with a 12.01 @ 85 mph...she started swerving from tire mix, backed off the gas.

Second run:
4200 rpm launch
1.686 sixty on 15 psi hot, ET Streets
11.406 @ 123.16

Third run:
Tried to match psi, rpm and track prep
3200 rpm launch
1.573 sixty on 13 psi hot, ET Streets
11.223 @ 122.90 (about the same time as last year) but worse DA and heat.
I have this run in HD with an outside camera. Came out awesome...nice smooth run, like a trip to the store...lol.

Forth run was aborted. The damn twin disk was not disengaging the flywheel all the way and causing me to roll thru after staging. The guy waved me to back up and it wouldn't even go in reverse or third gear.

The DA was 2800+ and very hot out on the track. Jimbos 416 stroker with 543\493tq ran a 11.14 @ 129+...not sure of his sixty foot... 1.6 area I think. We tried to run against each other on the failed 4th run. Compared with mine, he should have a 10.4-10.5 car in good air !!!

Back to the drawing board

My buddy's fully dressed Roadking was running mid 11's...NA. She was getting 6-8" of air on the 2-3 shift. Awesome bike !!

Pitt

Last edited by pittman; 09-20-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, RPS Tripe or BC2 next????
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
So, RPS Tripe or BC2 next????
Hope to hear some success stories before I choose another one.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pittman
Hope to hear some success stories before I choose another one.
I know a couple of guys who are PRO drivers (drag) who run the BC3...

What is your power?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

I know a couple of guys who are PRO drivers (drag) who run the BC3...

What is your power?
Only 480/430 but cutting hard sixty foot times
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

I know we talked about this at the track Pitt but I'm gonna remind you anyway. Get a Tick master in there before you try anything else. Joey has them on sale now for 30 bucks less than I paid for mine last year. The install isn't too bad and it's a helluva lot cheaper than another clutch change and it just might do the trick. You'll need it anyway if you do decide to install a clutch like mine in the future. The McLeod adj. master you have in there now is nothing but a stock cylinder with a adjustable rod and it just won't move enough fluid to make the clutch disengage completely! The Tick is a whole different animal and it WORKS!

Jimbo
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimbo'sZO6
I know we talked about this at the track Pitt but I'm gonna remind you anyway. Get a Tick master in there before you try anything else. Joey has them on sale now for 30 bucks less than I paid for mine last year. The install isn't too bad and it's a helluva lot cheaper than another clutch change and it just might do the trick. You'll need it anyway if you do decide to install a clutch like mine in the future. The McLeod adj. master you have in there now is nothing but a stock cylinder with a adjustable rod and it just won't move enough fluid to make the clutch disengage completely! The Tick is a whole different animal and it WORKS!

Jimbo
10-4, will order tomorrow
Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10-4, will order tomorrow
Wait until you try to get to the three nuts holding the pedal assembly in. Once you've mastered that, getting the nuts started again is

You've got 5 weeks to make up your mind and get a clutch installed...
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Wait until you try to get to the three nuts holding the pedal assembly in. Once you've mastered that, getting the nuts started again is

You've got 5 weeks to make up your mind and get a clutch installed...
Sounds like real fun
Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Pitt,
Just take out the driver seat, makes it much easier if you lay on your back. I'm 6'5" so you should have all kinds of room. Your boys should be able to help you out with getting the nuts back on.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only 480/430 but cutting hard sixty foot times
How many track days a year?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pittman only has 3 track days a year with his vette cause he's a big weenie!!!!

I said it on the other forum aswell. Get the tick.... get a nice single disc, new slave, start fresh with everything, even new pilot BUSHING... dont get the bearing.

Tick install isnt that bad. Yes the 3 nuts on the pedal assembly are a bit of a tuffy. However if you get yourself a nice ratcheting wrench it'll make it alot easier. Also seen some guys use a piece of rubber hose to extend out to get the nuts on and off after being loose. I've installed 5 ticks in C5 corvettes now. Takes me about 2hours or so.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pauls416Z
Pitt,
Just take out the driver seat, makes it much easier if you lay on your back. I'm 6'5" so you should have all kinds of room. Your boys should be able to help you out with getting the nuts back on.
How many track days a year?
Originally Posted by Zturd
Pittman only has 3 track days a year with his vette cause he's a big weenie!!!!

I said it on the other forum aswell. Get the tick.... get a nice single disc, new slave, start fresh with everything, even new pilot BUSHING... dont get the bearing.

Tick install isnt that bad. Yes the 3 nuts on the pedal assembly are a bit of a tuffy. However if you get yourself a nice ratcheting wrench it'll make it alot easier. Also seen some guys use a piece of rubber hose to extend out to get the nuts on and off after being loose. I've installed 5 ticks in C5 corvettes now. Takes me about 2hours or so.
Thanks for the tips !!

I got about:
stock clutch and motor = 75 runs

heads and cam 430/400tq
clutch 1 = 75 runs
clutch 2 = 25 runs

New motor with 480/430tq
clutch 3 = 50 runs or less (roughly, hard to remember this one)
clutch 4 = 4 runs and already having trouble
Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea the tick master is one nice piece. Definitely a big improvement over a stocker or Mcleods adjustable master. I think tho that the biggest problem is the slave cylinders.

I'm not sure but I think this is a new setup from RAM to get rid of the stock slave and use, what looks to be a lot better setup.

http://www.lmperformance.com/26588/4.html

Looks like a similar setup to the f-body setup, hydraulic release cylinder
http://www.lmperformance.com/56897/1.html
Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scramblerman
yea the tick master is one nice piece. Definitely a big improvement over a stocker or Mcleods adjustable master. I think tho that the biggest problem is the slave cylinders.

I'm not sure but I think this is a new setup from RAM to get rid of the stock slave and use, what looks to be a lot better setup.

http://www.lmperformance.com/26588/4.html

Looks like a similar setup to the f-body setup, hydraulic release cylinder
You may be on to something there
Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont see a big difference in what RAM has there.... I really dont see $350 bucks worth of something there that you need the spring and TOBearing yet for. So over $400 and use your old spring? That thing better tickle my ahole during shifts for that!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zturd
I dont see a big difference in what RAM has there.... I really dont see $350 bucks worth of something there that you need the spring and TOBearing yet for. So over $400 and use your old spring? That thing better tickle my ahole during shifts for that!
I had looked in this setup before and from what I read you don't use any Gm throw out bearing or spring. This is a self contained kit that to me looks a whole lot better than the POS slave that gm offers. I will be calling ram to talk to them about this setup.

http://www.ramclutches.com/Products/...se_bearing.htm

My bro had a spec 5 in his t/a, slave took a ****. So we put in a ram twin disk and a new Gm slave cylinder. Spec 5 was junk. Guess what the slave is going out again, clutch has seen no track use and not even a 1000 miles were put on it. He will be trying this setup over the winter. The biggest problem with the vettes are the clutch hydraulics. Even worse than the f-bodies.

Btw on the main page they have a whole setup for a 2010 camaro. Looks nice.
http://www.ramclutches.com/
Old 09-23-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Pittman I feel your pain. My Textralia single finally went out on me. Unfortuneately it was on day 3 of Hot Rod's Drag Week and I ended up dropping to the bottom of the sbpa list

I limped home barely and now I need something that will hold the 748hp/832tq....Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Pittman I feel your pain. My Textralia single finally went out on me. Unfortuneately it was on day 3 of Hot Rod's Drag Week and I ended up dropping to the bottom of the sbpa list

I limped home barely and now I need something that will hold the 748hp/832tq....Any suggestions?
Not unless you want to try Monster. I hear they do back up their product but you still eat the labor every time or work your *** off trying to beat the 9 hr change out. Clutch's still sux after all these years !
Old 09-25-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought the McLeod were pretty tough clutches. Which one were you running? I have a Tex single now, but know I am on borrowed time and already shopping for my next clutch. This will be #4 for me. Which one do you plan to go with? What about just having the McCleod rebuilt.

Quick Reply: Went to Bowing Green, ate another clutch