LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new catback on my TA (today's project)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new catback on my TA (today's project)

so, the stock exhaust just had to go.... wasn't loud enough for me so here was my project for this afternoon:

off with the old crap:

here is the new (slp loudmouth 2) with the tips that i'm not going to use... i got some you prolly have not seen before on an fbody!

here is another shot of the new exhaust

tips that came with it are nice but not good enough for me!

here is one of the tips that i'm going to use

here is the hanger on the pass side of the car.. this made things hard. i don't like this hanger style at all

a shot from the center.. looks sooo much better w/o that big ole muffler there!

driver side

here she is with the tips on (they still need some adjustment but i was done for the night)

it is leaking like a bastard from a few sections so i will need to get back under there and suck those clamps down more. if i crank them down too much could it kink the pipe to the point where it will leak worse? i cranked them down rather hard but it is still leaking....

this exhaust is loud though.. not sure if i like yet.. will have to wait till i have time to get her out on the road and really get a feel for it.

it was a bitch though, kinda wish i just took it to a shop and had them to it but at least i didn't throw any tools!

Last edited by jkicak; 09-22-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

I personally would take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld it up, they probably wouldn't charge you very much.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Launching!

have u tryed to turn the tips around?? i was just looking at them and thought it might make it look nice..just an opinion...looks great btw hope u like it..and good job for doing it your self..lol
Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

+1 for getting it welded, seems like clamps like to leak a lot.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tips look like they are upside down.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

i have gone back to the tips that came with the LM2 as i couldn't make up my mind if i like the trapezoid ones or not. they were NOT upside down either.

ok, so i drove my car to work today and it was the first chance i got to drive it since i put the exhaust on... i have to say that i'm in love with the sound! it is deep and mellow at idle and loud isn't a good enough word to describe the sound when i get on it. i had it next to my coworker's 96 SS with the 2otl and at idle the LM2 was a bit louder and had a much better lope tone to it. at wot the LM2 was 10x better.... the 2otl has a nice tone to it but if you want loud it isn't what you want. there is a bit of drone at around 2k but i don't mind it at all.. to my ear v8 drone is still a v8! much better than fartcan v6 or 4banger drone. i will enjoy this exhaust greatly for sure and that is saying a lot because i'm a picky bastard.

i still need to get the leaks resolved. i am on the fence about taking it to a shop.. i may get it back up on ramps tonight, take all the clams off one by one and see if i can readjust them to sit a bit better.

Quick Reply: new catback on my TA (today's project)