LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine idea has anyone tried this??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine idea has anyone tried this??????

Ok my friend has a 1994 TA A4 with alittle over 100,000 miles on it ( he knows there is nothing wrong with his engine ),,, but he is wanting to build an engine for it.

We were tossing ideas around and we came up with using a one piece seal 383 stroker with trickflow 23degree heads he already has that was a carburated motor and use the TPI mini ram, and EFI connections TPI to LS1 coils and ECM harness.

He knows he will have to figure out new coolant hose routes and may have to change the radiator since it want be reverse flow anymore.

He already has a carbon fiber 98-02 WS6 style hood so there is plenty of room under the hood for the TPI mini ram and he doesn't mind cutting the rear body flange were part of the engine is under if he has to.

Has anyone tried this???

Does anyone know if the LT1 heads and block have the same bolt holes as the early 90's 350 for the front accessories???

Any info or suggestions please feel free to post a reply.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont have to buy the efi connections set up...

on the older roller blocks you can use a vortec timing cover, a vortec 4x reluctor, a vortec distributor or the coil over plug set up.. the distributor or coil over plug set up will depend on which pcm you pick...

do a search on a 411 pcm you will be amazed of the information you will find on converting an old gen1 sbc to a LS fuel injection setup.. easier and more cost effective than building a new lt1 engine if he already has a good 383 built it would definetly be worth it especially if he were planning on keeping the car..

you can get almost any ls based pcm and have it reflashed to a 411 pcm.. the only thing i'm not sure of is the transmission controls, i'm pretty sure the transmission controls can be disabled, and you can use the dakota digital vss that connects to the speedometer cable provision on the transmission for the speed sensor if your planning on using a th350/400/700r4 non electronic controlled transmission..

the vortec distributor produces a 1x cam signal, the vortec crank signal is 4x.
Attached Files

Last edited by brucer; 09-22-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

Bruce,,I thought it wouldn't be a problem ,I don't think he knew about the 411 PCM I will diffently tell him about it. Also he is in the process of getting his 4l60e built so he will still be using the 4L60e.

Also do you know if the LT1 serpentine belt system will bolt up to the gen1 block and heads???

Thanks for the info Bruce
Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think LT1 stuff would bolt to the front of Gen I SBC block and heads, but don't quote me on that. If the holes aren't there, you can always drill and tap them to fit.
But I can't even think of the differences between LT and SBC blocks, except for the difference in rear main seal.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The timing cover bolt pattern is different, along with a completely different water pump bolt pattern/setup.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Not to mention that LS1 hood isn't going to fit that LT1 front end. Different fenders, noses, headlights, etc, etc
Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
Not to mention that LS1 hood isn't going to fit that LT1 front end. Different fenders, noses, headlights, etc, etc
I think he meant this hood.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned

The hood is for the LT1 firebird and TA it just has the look of the 98-02 WS6 hood with a wide cowl.

Also doing the 411 PCM he would be using a Vortec timing chain cover which will bolt on to the GEN1 block.
And he will also be using a GEN1 water pump since he will be using a GEN1 block.
If the LT1 front accessories bolt up to the GEN1 block then he will use a low profile GEN1 electric water pump to stay out of the way of the belt system.

Quick Reply: Engine idea has anyone tried this??????