Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you install an oil temp sender in the oil level sender bung?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you install an oil temp sender in the oil level sender bung?

I am installing a oil temp gauge and was wondering if I can use the hole for the oil level sender to install the oil temp sender? This is on a CTS-V pan btw (although I think the sender is the same between all of the oil pans).
Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am installing a oil temp gauge and was wondering if I can use the hole for the oil level sender to install the oil temp sender? This is on a CTS-V pan btw (although I think the sender is the same between all of the oil pans).
I'm not sure on the oil level sender hole, but I know there is a kit that includes a plate that is sandwiched between the oil filter and the block with holes that allow you to add up to 3 extra sensors or connections. Glowshift gauges I think is the brand name.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

or you can just tap that plate above the oil filter and have your gauge there.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well actually the CTS-V has the plate already tapped, but I am not sure if the mechanical oil temp sender will fit in there and if it does do I need to be concerned about it blocking flow?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Teching In

I bought a plug from speedway motors that had the right thread for the oil level hole in the pan. It was also tapped with 1/8th npt, the right thread for my sending unit for my oil temp gauge. Used Autometer gauge and works great. The only problem was the plug was made out of some hard plastic, so I drilled and tapped a very small screw into the side of the oil sending unit (on the surface that you turn with a wrench) for a ground.

I found it at speedway motors http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Lo...ign=GoogleBase