Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best heads for a tsp 228r camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best heads for a tsp 228r camshaft?

I'm looking to switch up my heads this winter and want to get opinions on what are the best heads for a mild camshaft of this size? 228/228 .588/.588

I was leaning towards some ls6 stage 2.5 ported heads but im open to see what everyone thinks will net the most power with my setup. If anyone has any close combo's putting down good numbers and running great times at the track, post up also. Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 10:51 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it depends a lot on your budget. My first recommendation is always an aftermarket casting head. Whether its PRC, AFR, or TFS aftermarket casting heads always giv the best performance. A 215cc runner would do really well for a streep/strip car with that cam.

If the aftermarket castings are not in your budget, then I recommend the 2.5 LS6 heads. We have done that setup quite a few times and been able to put up some nice numbers while keeping a ton of driveability.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

I would love some TFS 215's but yea out of my budget. If I didn't have to buy different rockers and everything for those heads it might be a different story but im looking to just swap over my valvesprings and everything to another head. The 2.5 ls6 heads were my main choice, seems like alot of people like them, the numbers look like its a good flowing head with my cam, and its not very expensive. I would like to get over 400rwhp and be trapping pretty decent with whatever heads I get though (116-118mph trap)
Old 09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Those sound like some pretty doable goals. We have had great luck with them, and we can sell them without the springs for $200 less.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
Those sound like some pretty doable goals. We have had great luck with them, and we can sell them without the springs for $200 less.
That's good to hear! What about valves? I have stock valves in my heads now, not sure if theres any recommendation to swap them since my car has 105k on the clock now.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have your factory valves lapped,,,or you can buy new there not that expensive,,,,,or better yet find some used LS6 sodium filled valves and have them lapped.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fccs
I would love some TFS 215's but yea out of my budget. If I didn't have to buy different rockers and everything for those heads it might be a different story but im looking to just swap over my valvesprings and everything to another head. The 2.5 ls6 heads were my main choice, seems like alot of people like them, the numbers look like its a good flowing head with my cam, and its not very expensive. I would like to get over 400rwhp and be trapping pretty decent with whatever heads I get though (116-118mph trap)

You don't have to anymore. Lots of people are shimming stockers up .090 with good success. I was at RPM Motorsports today and Ryan told me he just had 5 sets made to run stockers on TFS heads..... Shane at Thunder was the first I heard doing this and he has been doing it a while....

Look around. I have seen used TFS between $1500-$1700 from time to time. IIRC chrs 1313 got his for $1400 You might just have to wait for a set to pop up......
Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not loving the Katech's?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the money the TFS 220's are a great deal
Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John what rockers can be used with the PRC215/227?how much can he get PRC 215 head for with out springs?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by outkast6991
not loving the Katech's?
It's hard to say, my a/f was pretty lean at around 14, and im detonating alot so I need to get a dyno tune first but then I wonder if It's even worth it if itll put me over 400 or not, whereas I know the 243s will. So im a little mindfucked now lol
Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
You don't have to anymore. Lots of people are shimming stockers up .090 with good success. I was at RPM Motorsports today and Ryan told me he just had 5 sets made to run stockers on TFS heads..... Shane at Thunder was the first I heard doing this and he has been doing it a while....
You might not have to shell out $400 for some YTs but you still have to buy the trunion upgrade & shim kit.

Look around. I have seen used TFS between $1500-$1700 from time to time. IIRC chrs 1313 got his for $1400 You might just have to wait for a set to pop up......
Its ok to go this route if the springs are there & they dont need resurfacing. Ask me how I know. They are some great heads though but from what I read some well ported 243s are very close.

Originally Posted by outkast6991
not loving the Katech's?
While not as good as a 243 style head, with them Katechs he should be putting down some good power.

Originally Posted by fccs
It's hard to say, my a/f was pretty lean at around 14, and im detonating alot so I need to get a dyno tune first but then I wonder if It's even worth it if itll put me over 400 or not, whereas I know the 243s will. So im a little mindfucked now lol
We pretty much have the same setup, except the heads & gears. I installed the TFS heads a month ago & it pulls a lot harder but I havent had a chance to get any times or dyno#s yet. The days I wasnt too busy to hit the track it rained. Now my 10 bolt is making more noise & vibrating & I ordered a fab 9 from MWC so I am gonna wait till it comes in before I track the car. Kinda got tired of babying that 10 bolt. Others on here with the same cam & heads dyno around 420-440 whp so I gotta be close to that. With ported 806s, you should be close, 410-420 with a good tune.
I feel getting a tune & you should like the heads you already have. Your times in sig should be a lot better than that once you get the tune straightened out.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
You might not have to shell out $400 for some YTs but you still have to buy the trunion upgrade & shim kit.

The trunion upgrade is not REQUIRED but is a good idea and much cheaper than YT's

Its ok to go this route if the springs are there & they dont need resurfacing. Ask me how I know. They are some great heads though but from what I read some well ported . 243s are very close

I guess it depends on your definition of "very close" but I bet there is only a small handful of people who would take 243's over some TFS, AFR, PRC (proprietary) PI etc.... castings.... and a cleanup mill is cheap

While not as good as a 243 style head, with them Katechs he should be putting down some good power.

We pretty much have the same setup, except the heads & gears. I installed the TFS heads a month ago & it pulls a lot harder but I havent had a chance to get any times or dyno#s yet. The days I wasnt too busy to hit the track it rained. Now my 10 bolt is making more noise & vibrating & I ordered a fab 9 from MWC so I am gonna wait till it comes in before I track the car. Kinda got tired of babying that 10 bolt. Others on here with the same cam & heads dyno around 420-440 whp so I gotta be close to that. With ported 806s, you should be close, 410-420 with a good tune.
I feel getting a tune & you should like the heads you already have. Your times in sig should be a lot better than that once you get the tune straightened out.
Just trying to point out used may get you better heads and stay in budget if you shop smart....
Old 09-24-2010, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by flintwrench69

Its ok to go this route if the springs are there & they dont need resurfacing. Ask me how I know. They are some great heads though but from what I read some well ported 243s are very close.

Yea I think what it seems to be coming down to is first getting a tune. Everyone I talk to seems to say that and they are probably right, before I jump the gun on checking out new heads ill get a full tune and have this A/F lean issue fixed.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

I pulled 405rwhp unlocked and 415 locked with the PRC st.1 ls6 milled to 10.75cr.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by garygnu
John what rockers can be used with the PRC215/227?how much can he get PRC 215 head for with out springs?
You can use stock rockers or any aftermarket rocker arm with the PRC aftermarket castings. We do a lot of the yella terra rockers with good success. For the month of september we have the PRC aftermarket casting heads for sale at $200 off. So with no springs you would be looking at $1999.99
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are alot of people running the 228 cam. your best bet is to check the dyno section and 1/4 mile times section to see the results people are making.
since your running a tsp cam, i would suggest just running their heads with that cam as they know what works best.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
there are alot of people running the 228 cam. your best bet is to check the dyno section and 1/4 mile times section to see the results people are making.
since your running a tsp cam, i would suggest just running their heads with that cam as they know what works best.
I'm going to get a dyno tune done soon before I do anything. Either I wanna get new heads over winter or I was looking into nitrous setups. So depending on how the car is running with these heads will decide what im going to do this winter.

Quick Reply: Best heads for a tsp 228r camshaft?