Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LT5 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT5 question

ok, i was thinking about the possibilities of an LT5 VVT conversion. what would have to be installed, besides cam?? if even possible.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:39 AM
Launching!

It is my understanding that it is a completely different motor. (correct me if I'm wrong but) I believe the LT5 is a Lotus built motor that is a SOHC 4v motor. the bore and stroke are different the intake,heads,block pretty much everything is different. SO long story short. Get an LS motor, its more cost effective.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Teching In

yeah i understand that, i would never spend the money on an LT5. I was just thinkin bout some different ideas. and what the possibilities of doing that on a v8. Kinda curious to see where Ford takes their v8 OHC ideas in the next ten years.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The LT5 motor was a joint effort between GM and Lotus. It is a 4 cam 32 valve engine completely different from any GM family of engines. There are companies that make aftermarket overhead cam heads that retrofit onto standard small block Chevy V8's, but I haven't seen anything like it offered for the LS family. With the flow numbers and performance/efficiency being achieved by the current OHV arrangement I wouldn't consider it worth it to pursue. The true revolution as far as gas engines go, will be when we have electronically actuated valves.

On a side note, the LT5 is still a darn impressive powerplant. A buddy has a 90 ZR-1 and it is still runs strong. The biggest problem is the engines aren't made anymore so parts are getting very scarce.

Quick Reply: LT5 question