Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another crank re-learn question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another crank re-learn question

I'm replacing the PCM in my Trans Am. Its a 2002 A4 bolt on car. The PCM is being flashed/changed to my VIN. I was told by Mad Tuner, whom I got the PCM from, that I might need to do the crank re-learn. Since the PCM is being flashed/changed to my VIN, will I need to do the crank re-learn or am I racking my brain for nothing? I have HpTuners and its being tuned by ONEBADWS6 on here. Does HpTuners, if needed, have the on screen how to's for doing a crank re-learn like EFI Live has?

Any REAL help is appreciated.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you are making a big deal about nothing. I've never needed to do a case relearn and I've flashed, re-flashed and swapped VCM's in my cars so many times I had to label them to keep them straight. You only need to worry about the case relearn if you get the error code which has never appeared for me. I know HPT can do the task because I've seen the option in the scanner but I can't remember the procedure because I never needed it. I'm sure a search of their forum will bring it up.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah im not sure a case re learn is necessary either, i swaped a whole new engine into my car (LS3 into a LS1 car). and didnt seem like i needed a case relearn,
Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have swapped pcms swapped engines and never needed to do case learn although last year my brother bought a 2009 chevy silverado that had been on fire he had to swap the entire wiring harness engine and sterring colum that needed a case learn

Quick Reply: Yet another crank re-learn question