Sponsored by:

LQ4 oil pan in a 74 camaro f body

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 oil pan in a 74 camaro f body

Hi Guys,

I know most guys run a late model camaro f body oil pan in a 2nd generation (70-81) camaro.

Has anyone tried the stock LQ4 pan in a 70's camaro (mine is a 74)? I think the only issue would be how low the rear sump hangs down.

I know tirefryin S10 used a stock vortec truck pan in his fox body mustang. Hangs a little low like a deep sump drag pan but he still drove it on the street and at the track with no issues.

I just bought my LQ4 recently. Does anyone know the size of the bolts for the bell housing? I know its a metric fastener. I need to figure out what size grade 8 bolts to buy to bolt this motor onto my engine stand! lol

Sorry for the newb questions will be starting my build thread in a few days.

Hpobob1
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Teching In

if u know a guy who can weld, you can cut almost 2inches out of the pan and shorten the pick up. thats what i did and it only cost me a 6 pack.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Default Cutting & welding pan and pick up tube

Hi 67firebird,

What did you use to cut the 2 inchs out of the middle of the pan? Some type of cutter? I doubt you used torches. How and where did you cut the pick up tube? In the middle, near the beginning? How much did you cut off the pick up tube?

Sorry for the newb questions, but this can be a nice cheap alternative to buying a new pan. I have a friend who can weld. Is there any special method or training to welding aluminuim? Thanks for any info.

Hpbob1
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

portable band saw. or Jigsaw
Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 AM
Teching In

i used a portaband saw and cutting wheel. if you search around this site there is a picture of someone else who did it. i cut just above oil drain plug. then measured about 1 3/4 - 2inches above that and cut out the section. then put the bottom with the drain plug back on, lined it up and my buddy welded it. the aluminum needs to be tig welded and it MUST be very clean. any good welder can weld it up. then i took the same amount off the pick up tube and welded that up. everything fits perfect now.

pat

Quick Reply: LQ4 oil pan in a 74 camaro f body