Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

welds 16x9

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default welds 16x9

a couple months back I bought a set of weld draglights here from a member..Frots are 15's and the rears are 16x9 weld drag lights..He bought them off a mustang guy and had them on his car(ls1)..

any way I grind down the calipers mount the wheel and the car sat a couple weeks while my buddy installed a nitrous kit..

So I head to the dyno and notice the wheel wobbles..Thought it just needed new washers but it turns out that the rim is bent pretty good..I say **** it and just eat it and get it repaired..It took another couple weeks cuz they were booked up..

I get the wheel back and its now flawless and they mount it on,but the tech says.."Those aren't the right wheels for that car" "there is a slight gap between the "hub" and wheel"...

Anyway I thought these were made for our cars..Does anyone know? I know they no longer make 16x9 draglights so if anyone knows let me know what you think
Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Before any haters come in, let it be known that I sold the wheels to him. I wasn't aware there was a problem with the wheel being bent as I ran them on my car without issue. I gave him a great price on the wheels, and I have offered to pay for the cost of the wheel repair.

I think the OP's main question is how can he find out if the wheels are mounting correctly on his car. Like I said, I ran them and had no problems, but I couldn't be certain they were mounting correctly. I believed them to be, as I believe them to be mounting correctly on his, but we want to be sure.

They are a multi-pattern wheel that had been mounted on a 5-lug mustang before they were mounted on my T/A.

I ran 1.75 60fts on these as well as putting 600rwhp through them on the street with no failure.

I would like to help him confirm he will have no issues because he was a good buyer.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:39 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the hole in the wheel isnt as large as the "hub" on the end of the axle. grind hub or grind wheel.
mic them.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TJ
sounds like the hole in the wheel isnt as large as the "hub" on the end of the axle. grind hub or grind wheel.
mic them.
So these wheels are supposed to straddle the center part of the axles that sticks out instead of butting up against it?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlc1609
Before any haters come in, let it be known that I sold the wheels to him. I wasn't aware there was a problem with the wheel being bent as I ran them on my car without issue. I gave him a great price on the wheels, and I have offered to pay for the cost of the wheel repair.

I think the OP's main question is how can he find out if the wheels are mounting correctly on his car. Like I said, I ran them and had no problems, but I couldn't be certain they were mounting correctly. I believed them to be, as I believe them to be mounting correctly on his, but we want to be sure.

They are a multi-pattern wheel that had been mounted on a 5-lug mustang before they were mounted on my T/A.

I ran 1.75 60fts on these as well as putting 600rwhp through them on the street with no failure.

I would like to help him confirm he will have no issues because he was a good buyer.
You did offer to pay for the repairs and I declined as you gave me an excellent price on these..I Do Appreciate the offer! And you have gone over and beyond during the sale and after.

just want to know what everyones opinions on this issue with the gap or if anyone has ran 16x9 weld draglight and have you experienced or seen this slight gap between the gap and hub..
Old 09-25-2010, 04:47 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dlc1609
So these wheels are supposed to straddle the center part of the axles that sticks out instead of butting up against it?
yes.
with the center cap off the wheel, you chould be able to see some of the rotor. if its butting up on the portion of the axle that protrudes, then the wheel is not sitting flat with the rotor.
not bolted up correctly, basically.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really dont know what i should be looking for..to me they seem fine other than when it was bent but thats fixed now..When I took it to my speed shop the took the wheels off and put it back on and said it was bent but nothing else looked unusual..

They rec just buying another wheel but they no longer made these(16x9) so found a place to fix them and thast when a tech there said "they are not the right wheel for this car"

So if any one can post a pic or If I could send you a pic on your cell let me know what you think..It would really help
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

if you are looking at the backside of the wheel, the hole in the wheel may be too small to fit over the portion of the axle that sticks out of your rearend.
both holes would be inside the 5 hole lug pattern.
not saying thats the issue, but maybe.