Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do starters/ignitions go out on these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do starters/ignitions go out on these cars?

My car wont start up, everything turns on. All the lights, radio and etc. but it just doesnt crank at all or anything. Starter or Ignition problem? And curious if these problems come up frequently on these cars or anything like that.

A friend came by and looked at it, said he thinks its the starter. Asked me how much miles i had on the car, which is around 135k now. He said, yea its probably time or was going out and you never noticed it.

Which when i think about it, the car at times would start up slow. Which i always thought was because i had 1 bad plug on the car, but ive changed that since and it would still start up slow at times.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter is common, and fairly cheap. Takes all of 5 minutes to change out. I would go for that first.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badguy7
My car wont start up, everything turns on. All the lights, radio and etc. but it just doesnt crank at all or anything. Starter or Ignition problem? And curious if these problems come up frequently on these cars or anything like that.

A friend came by and looked at it, said he thinks its the starter. Asked me how much miles i had on the car, which is around 135k now. He said, yea its probably time or was going out and you never noticed it.

Which when i think about it, the car at times would start up slow. Which i always thought was because i had 1 bad plug on the car, but ive changed that since and it would still start up slow at times.
Slide under the car and tap the starter with a hammer then try to start it. Sometimes you can get a bad starter to turn over by jarring the armature.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:03 AM
TECH Resident

If you can't hear the starter even click when you turn the key, there are other things to check before you replace it. Clean the resistor on your key and check the clutch pedal position switch. I know starters go out, but for what it's worth, mine has 180,000 miles on it.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

i think i know what happened and it flat out f'n sucks. i dont remember correctly, but i may have left the key in the ignition and like a dumbass forgot that i had it in there. At the time, i was messing with my belts. Since im having a really ugly noise and im thinking its from the misaligned belt/idler pulley. Well i think when i pushed on the pulley to loosen the belt to move it a little, it being on the alternator must've messed with it and now the ignition isnt reading the keys.

so im gonna be screwed on a price to get this fixed, since the best place in the town im in is the dealership.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think im a little lost.. so you messed with the pulley and now it cant read your keys?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i know what happened and it flat out f'n sucks. i dont remember correctly, but i may have left the key in the ignition and like a dumbass forgot that i had it in there. At the time, i was messing with my belts. Since im having a really ugly noise and im thinking its from the misaligned belt/idler pulley. Well i think when i pushed on the pulley to loosen the belt to move it a little, it being on the alternator must've messed with it and now the ignition isnt reading the keys.

so im gonna be screwed on a price to get this fixed, since the best place in the town im in is the dealership.
I think you lost pretty much everyone with that post bro....
Did you use the key to move around the belt or something?

Starters go on every car, they are a wear part and eventually will need to be replaced. At 135k I'd change it even if it worked... wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere.
If you think your key is broken, get a new one made at the dealer.

Also is your "security" light on? That happened to me once, had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it again. It did exactly what you described.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

What i mean is, i must've left the key in the ignition and forgot to take the key out before i went and loosened the belt up. I just dont remember going to start it up and having the key already in there just ready to turn the key and start. By loosening the belt, and it being loose off the alternator. It must have tripped something to where the keys arent being read to start up the car. I removed the battery for a few minutes, reconnected and installed. Still didnt start up.

A say this because 3yrs ago when i 1st had my z28, i was installing my system and when i was wiring the positive wire to the battery, i removed the positive off the battery and i happened to have the key in the ignition at the same time, not turned on but just in there all the way and the car no longer started. I removed the battery for 5minutes, installed it again and still nothing. Finally took it to the dealership and they ended up having to remove the steering column and changing my ignition switch and etc. and getting me a new set of keys.

I just took it to the local dealership, its a small town. Ill trust the dealership more then the little mechanic shops around here. So ill see what they tell me was the problem, im thinking its the same thing i just described up there but if its just the starter. Then ill be happy because it'll be cheaper to fix that.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you accidently touch the alternator with a wrench? If so did it make a spark? That can fry your computer and cause what sounds similar to your problem. My buddy did it.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeLSS1
did you accidently touch the alternator with a wrench? If so did it make a spark? That can fry your computer and cause what sounds similar to your problem. My buddy did it.
No, wasnt anywhere near the alternator at the time. Unless my starter just finally gave out completely. Ill see what the dealership tells me, checking on it tomorrow. It really seems like the same problem i mentioned before with the z28 i had.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

this happened to me recently, car was slowly taking longer and longer to turn over and then one day it just wouldn't start. all of my lights, gauges and what not came on and read fine so i took the battery and starter to a local parts store and they told me my battery was completely dead. replaced the battery and everything works perfectly fine now.

may want to give this a try also
Old 09-30-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

I agree that you might look at the battery first. I know my car got kind of weird too before the battery went out.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine went out a few mths back..$60 ebay starter for the win..works like a charm.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Almost sounds like the security thing. Passcode? Passkey? Forgot what the hell it was called. If your security light is blinking, that's it. If it's not clicking when you try to start it, it's a relay, fuse or they key.... If it's clicking but not turning over, it's the starter or connections.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

something similar happened to me a few years back. a surge went through the system from the positive cable arching to the engine (the shield wasn't put back on when the headers were put on) well it went through my cables to my steering column and it popped one of the white wires for the resister in the cylinder ignition. have your key tested out to make sure it's still good or maybe your BCM is goin out. there a few things that can be wrong. also if it is the starter why not buy one from a kragen/o'rielly's? they have lifetime warranty and if it goes out again you get a new one for free . . . thats my plan when i take my engin out to rebuild it i'm just gonna go down and get a new one
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No, wasnt anywhere near the alternator at the time. Unless my starter just finally gave out completely. Ill see what the dealership tells me, checking on it tomorrow. It really seems like the same problem i mentioned before with the z28 i had.
The resistor in the key itself wears out too. I had that happen. I went to the dealer and they took out a little machine that resets a new blank key to my "ohms".......all they need is your VIN. They gave me two keys for FREE. It took 27 seconds........

Maybe its that easy for you.....

Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it happens to be the starter.....don't get another one with the one short bolt and one long bolt. Get this one with the new two heavy duty mounting brackets and TWO long bolts. This will keep it from having one of those damn breakages like I had a few months ago.
I got this starter....its a powerhouse. Comes with the long bolt, alot of the other people selling them don't include the bolt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Start...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Just fyi....mine has done this same thing off and on for over a year, i have replaced the following....

VATS Bypass
New Battery
New Alternator
New Starter
New PCM
New BCM
New Ignition Relay
New Starter Relay
Turned off Fuel Pump disable in the theft deterrant system with hp tuners

So far its been two months since the last attempt to fix it and ive had 0 problems. I also have been locking and unlocking the doors manually, not arming the alarm. I plan on putting and aftermarket alarm on it and completely disablinig the factory system.