LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

MSD Igntion

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Igntion

Hey guys,
Anybody here run the MSD ignition coil package and have any feedback? I know Mel does...not sure it's worth the $669?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tmichelena
Hey guys,
Anybody here run the MSD ignition coil package and have any feedback? I know Mel does...not sure it's worth the $669?

Thanks,
Tom
I've gone back and forth with this to, but i ended up going against it. While G.M. did cut a few corners in making these cars, one area they did not skimp on was the ignition system. To the best of my knowledge its actually a pretty good system stock and messing with it doesn't really give any real gains. Certainly not ones that would justify spending that sort of cash IMHO.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Search around here for the truck coil upgrade. Seems to be the way to go if you wanted to upgrade
Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Accel makes some too. Waste of money imho.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I just have the MSD ignition plug wires the stock coils are hot enough. The wires are the issues and a lot cheaper than than coils and the truck coil are a waste there just as hot.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah... don't do it man...

you'll end up introducing problems when you don't have any to begin with... don't need the MSD stuff at all.... stock with stockers!!

have seen a lotta people have issues after they installed the MSD stuff...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, i have nothing against msd, but everyone i know that has boughten their coils packs for the ls have had them fail at some point.

If you want anything other than stock (which aren't bad at all) you should find the round truck coils deemed D585. They're said to have better output top end, are the preferred choice of forced induction setups, and usually don't cost anymore than $150 for a full set on brackets with wiring harness.

If you want anymore detailed info, put d585 in the search, and read up on the plentiful info.