LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intermittent Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Intermittent Starting Problem

I've been having this issue for a while now. Car would randomly start fine, or not at all. Car just clicks and kills battery, BUT, when I attach jumper cables to it, let it sit, crank, it starts right up. (Holy run on sentence Batman!!). The Chilton manual I glanced at said something briefly about high load starting issues. Didn't really understand with the fast look I took. Anyone have any ideas? I would love to understand what it is and justify putting in this new starter I purchased. The one currently in the car is a re-manned unit from Crap-Boys....Lasted less then a year.

I let the car sit in the garage over a week (stored for winter) and it fired right up first try. I let it run, shut it off, then tried again and it was hesitant but eventually turned over....
Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

I have the same problem some times but i think mine is due to high compression but if you have a stock car, it could be a tight belt or weak ground on the starter, dirty battery cables just to name a few...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm thinking about the dirty ground more then the rest, but that doesn't explain why it only kicks over with a jump. Sucks that the car is put away and the plates are off. Makes it that much harder to work on.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

The battery cables are easy to pull off and inspect. I had a similar problem that was improved by removing the cables and cleaning up the contacts. I also removed the junction block, replaced it, and cleaned up the contacts. I suspect something in the starter circuitry for mine, have you had your battery tested? Have you tried a battery from another car?