Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I get a programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I get a programmer?

I have the mods listed below and am going to (eventually... a year or 2) do heads and cam, but with that I will go ls1edit.

But with what I have now, should I get hpp3 or predator....what is the best programmer out there with the best peformance gains? Is the power gain worth the roughly 300 bucks for the unit?

Fry
Old 01-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Teching In

If you are going to buy edit then why are you going to buy a hpp3 or predator. I would just go a head and get edit. If you do that then you will have time to get fimilar with the controls.
Chase
Old 01-29-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chase71Z28
If you are going to buy edit then why are you going to buy a hpp3 or predator. I would just go a head and get edit. If you do that then you will have time to get fimilar with the controls.
Chase
Ditto
Old 01-29-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am not going to get the edit for myself, I dont want to do tuning myself. Plus this is not going to be until I get heads and cam which wont be for at least a year or more. I just want to know if with my mods is a programmer worth it? also fixing the speedo from gear changes, and wheel changes too.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you will find the Predator more like $400, but
at any rate I would put it on a par, driving-enjoyment-
wise, with the torque converter; not simply the tune
but the transmission controls really woke my car up.
You might or might not outgrow it, depending on if
you mod faster than DiabloSport writes program updates
or you don't like going down the "custom tune" road.
The diagnostic ability is useful.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I know that if I had an automatic I would definatly get one. But I have an M6 and dont really know if the gains are really worth the money.

I am thinking I really just need it for recalibration for my gears and wheels/tires.

Which one is considered (among ls1 enthusiasts) the best for the ls1.

Thanx
Fry
Old 01-30-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know which one is best since i havent used both of them. i have a HPP3 and in my A4 it did help make the shifts a little firmer and i also turned on hte fan a little sooner. but once i get my TC i will probably get an actual tune by one of the pro tuners. Oly complaint i have of HPP3 is that it doesnt allow you to read DTC codes. But other than that i think it is good. especiallyif you pick 1 up cheap(used). It is not hte greatest but it is good at what it does. .....
Old 01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by frey51
I have the mods listed below and am going to (eventually... a year or 2) do heads and cam, but with that I will go ls1edit.
Well I went a predator when they first came out. I love it!

I have had James do a few custom tunes for me and he is doing one now for the new cam, injectors, and headers. But, he is hard to get a hold of and I have to get someone to autotap it. Send him the output then he gets back to me. Now don't get me wrong he is doing a GREAT job but now that I am a bit more confortable with the car, parameters, understanding, etc. I wish I had gone with Autotap and LS1edit.

The predator tune did wake my car up and with the custom N2O tune it really is lively. But the mods are coming in again and I would like to tweak and play but I cannot too much.

Sooo what did I do yesterday? Went out and bought the new USB EFIlive. Once I get real comfortable with that. (found an older laptop for cheap) I will start tuning myself. Maybe. Knowing I allways have the predator to fall back on. Worse case senerio.