LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake Manifold Studs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake Manifold Studs

Two of my intake manifold studs bent while on the cherry picker, so I picked up a new set from ARP.

After some research, it seems there is no direct LT1 set and the standard SBC set seals poorly because they are too short. I went with the big block kit based on the recomendation from a sponsor in an old thread. They seem to be comparable in size and lengh to the stockers, plus there is a few extras to toss in the spare parts jar, so I am hoping it all works out.

I have three questions:
1.) The new bolts are just a tiny bit longer than the stockers. Is there extra room for extra material in the block?

2.) The new set is all bolts and no studs. Were the studs used to connect other components on top of the manifold? If so, is there a work around? I still have two intact studs, so perhaps I can swap them around if necesary, although I have read that keeping the fasteners in the same location is important.

3.) Does the torque specs change?

Thank you in advance for any input.

(95 Z28 m6)
Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LarsV8
Two of my intake manifold studs bent while on the cherry picker, so I picked up a new set from ARP.

After some research, it seems there is no direct LT1 set and the standard SBC set seals poorly because they are too short. I went with the big block kit based on the recomendation from a sponsor in an old thread. They seem to be comparable in size and lengh to the stockers, plus there is a few extras to toss in the spare parts jar, so I am hoping it all works out.

I have three questions:
1.) The new bolts are just a tiny bit longer than the stockers. Is there extra room for extra material in the block?

2.) The new set is all bolts and no studs. Were the studs used to connect other components on top of the manifold? If so, is there a work around? I still have two intact studs, so perhaps I can swap them around if necesary, although I have read that keeping the fasteners in the same location is important.

3.) Does the torque specs change?

Thank you in advance for any input.

(95 Z28 m6)
The bolt lengths will be fine. They have a fairly thick washer under the heads. The BBC kit will work.

The only things that mount using studs are on the passenger side, and they include a hold-down for the steam tube and the alternator bracket, both of which can be deleted without a problem. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there are other studs on the driver side as I have long replaced the stockers with ARP hardware.

Torque spec doesn't change a bit.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Driver's side has a stud for the EGR solenoid, but I think that went bye bye in his build.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

The main concern I'd have with slightly longer bolts would be the possibility of one or more making contact with a pushrod. A thicker washer or washers would solve that.

With the exception of the studs, I usually change the bolts to more attractive ones from ACE Hardware; like gold , stainless-steel or even chrome ones with matching flat washers. I've even swapped bolts to ones with different heads; torx, allen, etc.

Nothing really special about those bolts.

Jake
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JAKEJR

With the exception of the studs, I usually change the bolts to more attractive ones from ACE Hardware; like gold , stainless-steel or even chrome ones with matching flat washers. I've even swapped bolts to ones with different heads; torx, allen, etc.

Jake
Funny story, I went to ebay and just bought a 20 dollar intake manifold set and it included every fastener you could think of that is even close to the manifold with allen heads.....except it came with no main bolts.

Guess I should of read a little bit more closely.

Anywho, thanks for the input guys. I will use the washers to combat the length issue. Gojira is correct, not EGR for me. I am planning on using the alternator bracket and steam pipe however, so I guess I will move the two good studs to the passenger side and replace the rest with the new ARP hardware.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt the DS have a stud for the throttle and cruise control bracket??
Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on 96/97's it does....previous years don't have that unfortunate contraption.....lol

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Studs