LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help Please, High RPM Ignition on Built 383 LT

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Please, High RPM Ignition on Built 383 LT

Im having huge problems getting my car tuned out as well as lots of high rpm opti issues..

First off, the car in my sig made 383whp @ 5500 and 400ft/lbs @ like 4000. My heads flow 280/212 with my cam and bottom end(forged, 11 to 1, JE/Hbeams/Lunati), people keep saying I should make over 440whp and probly in the 6500 rpm range. So Solomon saw my tune and said therw was like 10* pulled from a factory tune and thats it. So i know where part of the power went, but why wont this thing pull high enough? Its got comp dual springs, so I doubt its valve float.

Now today, I just threw on a new Accel distributer and coil. Last night i was out, and managed to throw the rotor threw the cap, and it was about a month old. The coil seems great but I made it about a mile driving hard and i think i just blew up another rotor.. So what can i do for an LT1 running over 6500rpm? Im about to order an MSD tom, but i wanna see how many people tell me I have to go coil on plug. What are you guys using to make power that high? Appreciate the help guys..

Nick

Last edited by MavsFORMULA; 09-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Accel makes the absolute worst ignition components for LT1s, so there's your first problem. I would just use a stock AC Delco optispark and see if that helps. Not sure if you're running an aftermarket ignition (MSD 6AL, etc.), but if you are, unplug/delete it. I spin my 383 to 7k all the time on an MSD coil and AC Delco optispark all day long.

Did Solomon send you a new tune or no? You don't mention if these problems are on a new tune or not.

What does your dyno graph look like?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick response and help Joe.

Yes, Solomon and I have tuned about 7 times. I dont have a wideband though, and were also seeing some pretty drasticly split blms. I have resealed the passenger header about 4 times and the intake twice, but they wont go away. The first few tunes were definitely better than my original, but I'd say my current one is worse than it was at first. The car trapped 109 when I got it, and it trapped 112 a couple tunes ago. So I think we got back some power, but the last couple fueling corrections made it worse and worse. Now it throws a lean code almost every time I drive it and maxes out the blms on the passenger bank on datamaster. Im about to re-up my winflash and put one of his earlier tunes back on, just until I can get a wideband or get it dyno tuned.. WOT is still decent, prob still trap 112, but the part throttle/idle/cruising is horrible. I am still sure that it hasnt continued making power over 5500 since Ive had it.

The thing I hadn't done yet, but will tomorrow now that I've heard it from you as well, is pull my Digital 6 box. The local guy that Ive talked to about dyno tuning, told me I should pull it ASAP. He is also the person who told me to get the Accel coil and an MSD opti. I got a deal on the Accel opti and didn't listen, now I regret it. Again. Ive heard bad things about Accels optis but only good about their coil. He also said the MSD coils were hit or miss, and I just had one with about 4k on it go bad.

For the dyno graph, I dont have my scanner any more, but Ill work on getting it uploaded. 380 @ 5500 and it dives down to about 320 @ 6200 rpm. Torque and hp cross at about 370. Ill look for my other graph and if I have to, Ill draw it in paint and upload. I really think there is some mechanical issue, and the tune is not totally the prob. Anyway.. Appreciate the educated response, thanks for your help everyone

Nick

Last edited by MavsFORMULA; 09-27-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dynaspark unit if you want it...$375.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Is it brand new? After all my issues, I think Im gonna need something with a warranty. Im also getting these parts at Oriely's cost, so the parts aren't quite as expensive. Accel was just 220 i think and we'll see about the MSD. The good thing is I have zero issues getting a refund or part replacement, pretty much indefinitely. But I will think about it, thanks for the post and offer..

Nick

Last edited by MavsFORMULA; 09-26-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=RamAir95TA;13915786]Accel makes the absolute worst ignition components for LT1s, so there's your first problem. I would just use a stock AC Delco optispark and see if that helps.

PERFECTLY SAID, do this for sure
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
I have a Dynaspark unit if you want it...$375.
This would be a move in the right direction for sure!!

And if you ever have any probs with it they are cheap to fix and their customer service is awesome!!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

I'm stuck facing this exact same problem, only difference is my car has been living on the dynojet for over a year. The tuner has put 2 dynasparks on and 1 msd opti but the car starts to stumble at 5500 rpm. The engine is a 396 with afr's, comp springs and pro mag rollers, and the very expensive GM lifters. Talk about being frustrated, I'm going to call tomorrow and suggest that he remove the Crane ignition box and see what happens with just the msd coil and opti. I'll post the outcome rather it be good or bad.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i can add this......i have a msd crank trigger for the signal but i am still using the opti cap and rotor to send the spark to the plugs......i've got a stock gm unit with an msd cap and rotor......i twist 8000rpm on the regular with this motor and I have so far in two years never had a failure........IMO the gm unit with a msd cap and rotor is the best way to go.......i replace the cap and rotor once a year just for basic maintanence but like i said even at 8000rpm+ it has held together just fine for me just make sure that you loctite the rotor screws....
Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the input guys, always appreciate it. So I just ordered my MSD, be here tom for 450.. Thats sweet, can you not rebuild the MSD's? Thought they were basicly the same. Hope pulling that crane box helps ya man. My digital 6 will be out tom, so I will let everyone know if I got the top of my powerband finally. Guess if not, Im either parting this thing out or going to a smaller cam. Both of which would suck.. Ill post an update tom night.

You sure I should take the brand new MSD apart to add more loctite? Im pretty sure they all come loctited from the factory..
Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I said, there is absolutely NO benefit to running an MSD over the AC Delco, except for the lighter wallet. $450 is alot of money when you could get a more reliable opti for $150 less.

I would send it back.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

I went with the MSD because most say its the best of the best. When you get it in your hands you can see why. The newer generation are straight up incredible. Its got an extra cap bolt, the seccond vac line is at the top of the cap to make the flow possibly/actually work, obviously it has adjustable timing/is beefy billet, the opti harness is actually built in, the pin hole is totally diff and slid right on to the cam (5 sec instead of 10 min trying to line it up), and the quality is apparent on every inch of the thing. On top of that, Ive gone through 4 caps (first was delco/sec was delphi) and one optical sensor (delphi) in the last 10 weeks or so. I wont be doing that again, hence the desire for an MSD/Dyna/COP setup (thats an opti swap every other week, counting the MSD i just put on)... I will never reccomend anything but this monster again!

Alright, the new parts are on and my digital 6 is pulled. I couldn't be happier with the new MSD dist and Accel coil. Works like the five hundred I spent on both.. Im a bargain consumer as well. Almost everything I buy is budget parts, and I love low use/new seccond hand parts. This is the first brand new, top of the line part Ive dropped the money on for my LT's (since my borla in early 2002 @ age 16) and I believe its worth every penny. The opti is not something to skimp on, esp if the LT is built and going to see decent RPMs.

It gets better though.. Not only are they the best components Ive used, I think I just got the top of my power band back. Im fairly certain it was the removal of the digital 6, not the sweet new distributer. The coil was on with my accel dist, so i dont think it was that either. So, I would recommend EVERYONE PULL YOUR MSD BOXES!! Not only is the top end better, it really pulls harder throughout the powerband. This car has never run so good or had as much traction difficulty. It spins my 315 DR's at like 3000 rpm now.. I also flashed an old tune, so no more spark knock or lean codes. If you didn't install your box or EWP, be careful. I cut the relay power for my pump on accident, bc the last guy put all the wires together. GL guys and thanks for your help.

Last edited by MavsFORMULA; 09-29-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Check out my last rotor failure....
It was 3 weeks old!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The MSD base is pure garbage, listening to the IGNORANT folks who told you it was good is what landed you the train wreck you have.

You have had the car together for what 2 days, it just hasn't failed YET.

Lots of folks give positive feedback on junk for a little while, till it fails then they often wont man up and admit they were wrong leaving folks like yourself to find all the WRONG positive feedback..
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used a new GM opti for my 385 build. Loctited the rotor and I shift between 6800-7000 and no problems as of yet.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hvyss
I used a new GM opti for my 385 build. Loctited the rotor and I shift between 6800-7000 and no problems as of yet.
Yeah I disconnected the Crane ignition and still no better. I too have the latest MSD, so are you suggesting I loctite the screws for the cap and rotor?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes loctite that ****, it takes all of 2 minutes to pull it apart.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

I put on an msd cap/rotor after I found out my ac delco was arcing through the cap. I only used red loctite though so I'm sure its on borrowed time.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Staging Lane

Um, you probably shouldn't call people ignorant when you obviously didn't even read all the postings. Nothing he told me to use has failed and everything he suggested I use has made my car run better. The parts that failed were due to my being a student and broke. If/when it fails (as all optis/distributers do), I may consider a different setup. The 2nd Gen MSD's are supposed to be much better, and it will take this ones failure to convince me otherwise. I've heard far more good things about them than bad. I know my car has never run this good, I've replaced several cheap optis (and a couple not so cheap ones), and hope I don't have to again for a long time.

BTW, red locktite is exactly what you should've used...
Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsFORMULA
So, I would recommend EVERYONE PULL YOUR MSD BOXES!! Not only is the top end better, it really pulls harder throughout the powerband.
My God you're ******* clueless.

Quick Reply: Help Please, High RPM Ignition on Built 383 LT