Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Quick simple question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick simple question

When I bought my car, the DRL was disabled, by the previous owner. But whenever the headlights are on, or even the ambers/turn signals, the fog lights automatically come on. Just so everyone is clear, the fogs do not come on automatically, only when the head lights are turned on, If my headlights are off, the fogs dont come on. Normally, you have to pull the headlight swith towards you to turn the fog lights on. My car, that is not needed. I am going to guess it has something to do with the DRL being disabled. My question is, for the people that have DRL disabled, did you experience the same thing? Is it a simple pulling of a relay that will give me the option to turn my fogs on/off as I please? I am getting HID fogs shortly and I would like to have them last as long as I can.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Teching In

bump for today....For those who might not know, DRL is Daytime Running Lights.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

To disable DRL I pulled the relay under the hood...sounds like you have another issue entirely.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Is there a DRL-type relay for the fog lights?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

This may sound stupid...but have you pushed the headlight switch in? You have to pull it out to turn them on and push them in to turn them off.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Teching In

^^^ Yes, this has been tried. No help is considered stupid. I need all the suggestions I can get right now. My main question as of right now is, are there any relays/fuses that control the fog lights? I'm sure there are, I just need more insight from the people who have DRL's disabled. I have seen multiple GTO's with just the head lights on, so I've narrowed it down to it being caused by the DRLs being disabled.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Saturday morning bump. Somebody has to know the answer to this. Gerry(summerwolf) where you at. You always help me with my tuning/electronics questions over at "The Other Site".

EDIT: You've already been through here Gerry, damn.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Teching In

i have the DRL disabled and i can turn mine on and off
Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

i would check the wiring to the fogs to see if it has been rewired so that the fogs are somehow wired in with the headlights. this may have been done so they would always come on without using the switch or so that they stay on with the high beems. normally they would turn off when you turn on the high beems.

oh and deffinately didable the drls if you go with hid's. drls run at half power and will kill the hids quick. use a relay that hooks directly to the battery to run the hids
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
this may have been done so they would always come on without using the switch or so that they stay on with the high beems. normally they would turn off when you turn on the high beems.
Never even thought about that...
Old 10-08-2010, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

My name is Caleb....but thats ku....

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...w+beams&page=2

This is what I did to have my highs/lows/fogs come on all at once. It also shows the relays for both and the modifications needed to make it happen.

I don't have this issue....so I think you have something else. Doing it the way described in that thread linked if you leave the fog light pulled out they'll come on automatically when the low beams turn on....and then you flip it forward for high beams and all six lights illuminate. I have NO idea what is going on with your setup.

Quick Reply: Quick simple question