PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tuning 98 Camaro(handheld tuner)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about tuning 98 Camaro(handheld tuner)

I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

I was going to go and put 4.10's or 3.73's in my car this week(most likely 4.10's since it's a 6 speed) and I do not want my speedometer to be off.

I kept reading while I've been here and seen that a lot of the time in threads, people say that the 98 is the hardest to tune, people saying there is no handheld tuner for it, meanwhile others saying that there was a certain hypertech that would work(I think I remember it being one that worked on 98-99 Camaros, but I'm probably remembering wrong) all the way to people saying that the computer would have to be sent out for the modification to be made(saved the site since everyone was saying that they also do some of the best custom tunes for the 98 models)

Right now the car just has lca's,torque arm, bilstein springs, eibach shocks, hotchkis bar, and some other stuff I'm forgetting. Power wise the only things done are an SLP lid, and 3 inch borla catback.

I have longtube headers, and once those go on, the car will be getting dyno tuned, but till that happens, I wanted to know if there's a specific handheld tuner, and not just a speedometer correcter that they sell for 98 fbodies, but that someone here has used and can confirm it. Only reason I would like a concrete answer from someone that's used one is because I've seen so many people saying you can/can't tune the car with certain tuners, and only because the 98 was different with the ECU compared to every other later year.

If the only option is buying a speedo correcting handheld unit, I'll just have to wait for the gears when I put the headers in.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Question about tuning 98 Camaro(handheld tuner)