Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Pins in PCM so Rear O2s work like Fronts?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Swap Pins in PCM so Rear O2s work like Fronts?

I've searched and read multiple threads about this but I'm still confused on what to do. Does anyone have any pictures of the connector that holds the pins need to be switched? Really don't want to spend money on extensions if I have to.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to do what!

I've never read anything about doing this...why would you want to rig the rear o2's to run like the front o2'? The front oxygen sensors work just fine as a pair.

IMO, the best way to handle the rear o2's is to removed both rear sensors, install an 18mm plug in each hole, have the rear O2 codes turned off by your tuner.

A clean and professional mod.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
I've searched and read multiple threads about this but I'm still confused on what to do. Does anyone have any pictures of the connector that holds the pins need to be switched? Really don't want to spend money on extensions if I have to.
Never thought of that. Thats a great idea.

You just need to remove the front 02 wiring pins and insert the rear 02 pins in there place.

move the pin on Blue 25 to Blue 26 for bank 2

move the pin on blue 28 to Blue 29 for bank 1

If you want to clean up your harness a bit you could just remove the front 02 wiring.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
You want to do what!

I've never read anything about doing this...why would you want to rig the rear o2's to run like the front o2'? The front oxygen sensors work just fine as a pair.

IMO, the best way to handle the rear o2's is to removed both rear sensors, install an 18mm plug in each hole, have the rear O2 codes turned off by your tuner.

He is talking about using the rear o2 wiring harness as the front o2 harness. He will basically be switching the pins around so that the front o2 connectors will actually be the rear o2 connectors. (He will still be able to put sims or tune them out.) By switching the pins and using the already long enough rear o2 harness, he doesn't have to invest in some extensions.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
You want to do what!

Wow, I'm sorry about that. I just reread my post and that doesn't make sense I was exhausted last night and didn't explain very well.

I just finished installing headers and I read that you can swap pins in the PCM so that I can plug my front o2 sensors into the rear connectors and the PCM will use them for fuel trims. Seems like a cheap alternative to buying extensions or new o2 sensors, I'm just not sure how to do it.

Originally Posted by Z28_LT4
Never thought of that. Thats a great idea.

You just need to remove the front 02 wiring pins and insert the rear 02 pins in there place.

move the pin on Blue 25 to Blue 26 for bank 2

move the pin on blue 28 to Blue 29 for bank 1

If you want to clean up your harness a bit you could just remove the front 02 wiring.
I'm clueless when it comes to the wiring harness or anything physically on the PCM. I'm not sure where the Blue 25, 26, 28, and 29 are

I looked at the PCM and there is a gray cover on the top of it with two bolts that look like it's holding it on. Is the Blue connector under there?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Teching In

[/QUOTE] I'm clueless when it comes to the wiring harness or anything physically on the PCM. I'm not sure where the Blue 25, 26, 28, and 29 are

I looked at the PCM and there is a gray cover on the top of it with two bolts that look like it's holding it on. Is the Blue connector under there? [/QUOTE]

There are two large connectors that plug into the PCM. The top one is the blue connector and the bottom is the Red. There is a 7mm bolt holding the plugs into the PCM. Unbolt the top one(blue) and the plug in will come out when you thread out the bolts.
The grey plastic retainer on the back of the blue connector must be removed to expose where the numbers for the pins are located. The numbers are very tiny and are beside where each wire comes out of the plug.
On the inside of the blue connector there is blue plastic caps(hence why they call it the blue connector) that cover the pins. Remove these by using a small pick on the sides and these will simply pop off. Once these are off you can now lift up gently on the tabs holding in the pins and pull them out the back.

This probably looks very confusing but, I promise if you take off the connector and look at it, this will be very easy. Good Luck

Last edited by Z28_LT4; 09-28-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Just realized I dont know what year your car is. The pins I quoted you are for 99 and newer.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

I have a '99 TA and that sounds fairly straight forward actually. I'll take a look at it after work and see if I can figure it out.

Also, I've been reading on here and I see where some people say there is no difference between a front o2 sensor and a rear o2 sensor. I've also seen where some people say there is a difference. Not sure which one to believe but the pairs look identical. Does anyone know for sure if the front o2s and rear o2s are interchangeable?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Golf&GM;13922752]I have a '99 TA and that sounds fairly straight forward actually. I'll take a look at it after work and see if I can figure it out.

Also, I've been reading on here and I see where some people say there is no difference between a front o2 sensor and a rear o2 sensor. I've also seen where some people say there is a difference. Not sure which one to believe but the pairs look identical. Does anyone know for sure if the front o2s and rear o2s are interchangeable?[/QUOTE]

yes they are. the only different is the wire lenght. an O2 sensor is an O2 sensor.

to the OP did it work with you? if not i got some info that i can look for if you need them.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

It seems to be working, once I got the gray cover off it was a piece of cake to swap the pins. I haven't had a chance to log it since I don't have the rest of my exhaust yet and I hate running open headers. I'll post up when I get everything together.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did this too. Thanks
Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Forgot to mention that I also swapped a few more pins just to be on the safe side. All in all I switched:

25 HO2S Low Signal [Bank 2 Sensor 2]
with
26 HO2S Low Signal [Bank 2 Sensor 1]

28 HO2S Low Signal [Bank 1 Sensor 2]
with
29 HO2S Low Signal [Bank 1 Sensor 1]

65 HO2S High Signal [Bank 2 Sensor 2]
with
66 HO2S High Signal [Bank 2 Sensor 1]

68 HO2S High Signal [Bank 1 Sensor 2]
with
69 HO2S High Signal [Bank 1 Sensor 1]

Those were all the O2 sensor pins I saw on my '99 pinout sheet.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:50 AM
Launching!

great info thank you for the input ... keep us posted
Old 10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry it's taken so long, I hooked it up to my scanner and deleted the rear o2 (sensor 2) codes and the EGR/AIR codes.

O2s are switching correctly and it's adjusting fuel trims beautifully. I haven't had any codes thrown in the past week or so and I've been driving it everyday.

Just saved a good chunk of money and time by just swapping pins, thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swap Pins in PCM so Rear O2s work like Fronts?