LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header Info, Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Info, Again

Getting ready to throw on some Pace Setter LT's on my 93, I know they have their supporters and haters here but I got them for a deal and I am using them.

I already have the Fel-Pro gaskets to go in place of the junky ones they come with, Stage 8 locking bolts, poly motor mounts, new O2 sensors, O2 conversion harness, and plugs/wires. Anything else I need? What about some heat shielding around the plug wires or anything else?

I also ordered the Summit Universal X-pipe kit and I plan on making my own system behind the headers. Anyone who has used this kit and has some photos or tips would be very welcome.

Also if anyone can throw up the link to the header install I would be great-full, I've searched and can't find the big install thread.

Last edited by cumminsram06; 09-28-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about O2 extensions you dont want to cut those wires and screw them up. and you shouldnt need any heat sheathing just zip tie them out of the way and you should be good.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

I've got extensions on the way already, thanks.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Get rid of the Stage 8 locking bolts. They are a huge bitch to use and not necessary. Go with an ARP bolt instead. Either a six point 3/8"X1" or equivalent. They will not back out if you torque them correctly.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link below,I agree with SS RR if they are tightened after a couple of heat cycles they will be good to go.Mine have stayed tight for a year and a half.

I used stock manifold gaskets on my headers and I have not had any leaks.I tried stock gasket back fifteen years ago on my old nova,because it would blow every other type gasket out.

http://www.97ta.com/flp_header.shtml
Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

I really don't wanna ditch the Stage 8 bolts, I bought them so long ago now that I can't send them back, so I might as well use them. Worst case scenario if I can't use the locking tab they will still work as a normal fastener right?

That install guide will be a good help but I thought I remember reading a step by step guide on this site somewhere too, if anyone can help me in my search.

Last edited by cumminsram06; 09-28-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-28-2010, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

One last thing I thought of before I take the car apart, what do I need in the way of specialty tools? I have a good selection of tools as it is but what about universals or odd items like that?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Got a spark plug socket? Not absolutely necessary but ya might as well. Dont forget the BFH!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

I couple of tips from my install a couple weeks ago:

Do the motor mounts one side at a time. After the new mount is in but before you put the middle bolt through, jack the engine up and slide in the header for that side. Get everything bolted up and then repeat on the other side.

The motor mount bolts can be a real bitch to get lined up. I got them fully bolted in before realizing I had to unbolt them to get the headers in. I spent more time messing with the mounts than anything else.

I don't think I had any other major annoyances.

If you have new coated headers, reuse the old O2 sensors for a little while after wards. Apparently the coating does a final cure as the car is run, and can ruin them.

Quick Reply: Header Info, Again