Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Similarities between gen 1 sbc cam swap and ls1 cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Similarities between gen 1 sbc cam swap and ls1 cam swap?

Sorry, if this has already been posted, did a search and couldn't find anything. How would an ls1 cam swap differ from a gen 1 sbc cam swap in general? Would it be tons more complicated? The reason I'm asking is because I'm wanting to install a cam next with the help of one of my mechanically inclined buddies. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a lot of experience with the ls series mainly just first gen sbc's.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to pull the heads to change lifters, other than that it is a little different, but not rocket science.

I'd recommend a book or at least studying a few online How-to's if not familiar with Gen 3's.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

About the only similiarity is that the cam pulls out the front of the engine, lol. Actually, it's much easier on a LS engine. Check out this link. LINK
Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it has been awhile but...

as I remember the IM is pulled on a gen I but not a gen III.

Pull TC (same). Pull chain too.. Upper timing gear needs to be removed (gen I)..

Remove VC's and pull PR's, lifters and rockers and # so they go back in the same hole (not necessary to # on an LS motor). Reusing lifters are not recomended on gen I's so new ones should be used....

Keep in mind a flat tappet cam needs lots of assembly lube and a high zinc oil to break in properly (not necassary on our HR cams).

I am sure I have forgotten a lot but hope this helps... This is what I can think of so far..
Old 09-28-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blsnelling
About the only similiarity is that the cam pulls out the front of the engine, lol. Actually, it's much easier on a LS engine. Check out this link. LINK
Yup. It's a whole lot easier on an LS engine, especially the break in process since there really isn't one. Do some research here on the forum and you'll find everything you need to know for the cam swap. That's what I did when I changed my brothers cam in his '01 Z28.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Use pen magnets to hold the lifters up and you don't have to remove the head.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the responses guys. Hopefully I'll be able to do it myself and save a good chunk of dough.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

gen 1

intake off to get to the lifters, balancer off, water pump off, usually radiator out so u can take the cam out, timing cover off, cam gear off, pull cam.

LS''s take about an hour a gen 1 sbc a couple lol
Old 09-30-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 283nova
gen 1

intake off to get to the lifters, balancer off, water pump off, usually radiator out so u can take the cam out, timing cover off, cam gear off, pull cam.

LS''s take about an hour a gen 1 sbc a couple lol

An hour you are gettin it done Yeah that is correct on the Gen I. Last one I did was in a 72 chevelle in 94 so it's kind of hazy LOL (since I did it for beer).... It is nice to get to the lifters so easy... There is a lot different about the flat tappet stuff though.... We wouldn't dream of reusing lifters and breakin was always a worry back then..... Tuning was mainly changing the carb jetting and playing with the timing advance spring.... We are lightyears from that today....

Quick Reply: Similarities between gen 1 sbc cam swap and ls1 cam swap?