Northwest Members - So what should i start saving for? Suggestions plz

chapmansZ28
09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Ok as you can tell what i have done to my car so far... Idk wat to do next, rear end, suspension, tranny, engine work, if so what should be the next thing. Please help all details and suggestions welcome... Im a newbie so i can take the hints and help... :-D... I would like to hear all the recommendations from all members

*02WS6TURK*
09-28-2010, 11:05 PM
GM 3.73 Gears work well in a A4. Nice change over the 3.23's. What suspension work do you have done at this point? If your stock 10 bolt is holding up, then I wouldn't mess with it nor waste the $$$ on another. Nitrous is always a route you could go to if you are wanting to go faster.

*02WS6TURK*
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Suspension wise I would recommend
Strano hollow sway bars
UMI SFC's
UMI Torque Arm
UMI Adjustable Panhard Bar
UMI control arms
Koni or KYB AGX Shocks

chapmansZ28
09-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Well i got the kyb shocks already :) and ya the rear end is fine so far. So you think 3.73's will b a good up grade? I know i got a good amount of power in my car now but i always wanna go faster ;) but i wanna b able to put it to the ground, and i could deff use suspension upgrades. What nitrous system should i look into and what size shot? Any more suggestions?

chapmansZ28
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Oh just remembered i believe it has 3.43 gears in it now(i might b wrong but there not the stock gears) still suggest 3.73's?

zlicious94
09-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Umi and strano suspension ftw!

ls1whip
09-29-2010, 12:27 AM
you have a pretty sick engine built up brah, id focus on handling and getting that power to the ground. 3:73's or 4:10's would wake up your car even more just gotta get a speedo calibration like you prolly know. :) cool car btw!

99FormulaM6r
09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
From what I've read it's not really worth swapping from 3.23's (or 3.42's if you have them) to 3.73's in most cases. You're going to see more gains elsewhere IMO. Try checking out the suspension section for some good ideas.

chapmansZ28
09-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Alot of good advice keep it coming please and ill need to check up on the gears stuff... And ill look into suspension prolly gonna cost a pretty penny to get all that fun stuff tho... Well most everything is gonna cost me a lil now that i have the basics done

Nitroused383
09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
What exactly are you wanting to do with your car? Auto x, handling, traction, launching hard, drag racing what?

Mikey 97Z M6
09-29-2010, 09:59 AM
What exactly are you wanting to do with your car? Auto x, handling, traction, launching hard, drag racing what?

That's what I was going ask.

To the OP, we need to know what your intentions are with the car before making a good recomendation on parts. Has your trans been rebuilt? If not, I'd start saving for that. Those stock 4L60e's don't seem to last long with high stalls. Are you running an aftermarket trans cooler?

Mike

zlicious94
09-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Procharger, 9" rear, and cage!$!$

smokinponcho73
09-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah I am with Mike I would save for a tranny rebuild and then a rear after that everything else will seem cheap.

*02WS6TURK*
09-29-2010, 11:05 AM
From what I've read it's not really worth swapping from 3.23's (or 3.42's if you have them) to 3.73's in most cases. You're going to see more gains elsewhere IMO. Try checking out the suspension section for some good ideas.

I've gone from 3.23's to a 3.73 and it was a night and day difference. Some 3.73's would really wake his car up. Now if you have 3.42's I wouldn't waste the time.

chapmansZ28
09-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I do have the 3.42's in my car currently so im not gonna waste the time, tranny is stock and never been touched at all... And my intentions overall are... Street car that can run 10's... That is my overall goal. And thanks for all the help everybody, all recommendations are welcome

*02WS6TURK*
09-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Then I wouldn't waste the time on 3.73 because the gains would be minimal.

Like Mikey mentioned, invest or save up for a beefier transmission. A tranny cooler is a must too. I ran a B&M tranny cooler with my last A4 set up. Fit nicely. I would say if you are looking to achieve 10's, a Nitrous Outlet Wet Plate Kit would get you into the 10's with ease. A 75-100 shot would be a safe shot to run with the power you are already making. Chances are your transmission won't last long with it though...

smokinponcho73
09-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Eric ran a 11.4 on MT with his 3.73 geared 9" A4 with a 75 shot and full bolt-on's. You got this(he is on his second tranny and wanting to rebuild it though).

Mikey 97Z M6
09-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Eric ran a 11.4 on MT with his 3.73 geared 9" A4 with a 75 shot and full bolt-on's. You got this(he is on his second tranny and wanting to rebuild it though).

Make that a third tranny.... I saw it sitting down at Toms shop about a month ago getting a new trans. DOH!!!

Mike

Heyfred
09-29-2010, 06:24 PM
This is my current street/strip build. The car will run on pump gas, est mid 11 ET in the quarter and be able to drive at anytime, even cross country. The car is over built in the drive train, so in the future, if I want to up the HP/TQ I should not have durability issues.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/1056292-1sc-stripper-build.html

Here is another build you may want to look at for some ideas:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/1068545-cam-only-winter-upgrades-bitch-diet.html

chapmansZ28
09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
alright so tranny with a cooler is the next step looks like most people think this is the best thing to do next... and then ill grab up the wet plate and should be good to go after that... im pretty excited to get the car on a strip with what i have currently (after its done still waiting to put the car back together after the head swap) Ok here is another question... should i even install the TC if im gonna eventually rebuild the tranny or should i just wait to throw it in... i Mean its not a hard or expensive job since im going to do it myself and already have all the parts ya know? So should i just wait till the next tranny ? Anybody know some one that wants a set of stock ls1 heads off my 98 in good condition? They have 90k on them no cracks or anything in them. Would be great to mess around with i would imagine... i dont want hardly anything for them.

Mikey 97Z M6
09-30-2010, 12:44 PM
alright so tranny with a cooler is the next step looks like most people think this is the best thing to do next... and then ill grab up the wet plate and should be good to go after that... im pretty excited to get the car on a strip with what i have currently (after its done still waiting to put the car back together after the head swap) Ok here is another question... should i even install the TC if im gonna eventually rebuild the tranny or should i just wait to throw it in... i Mean its not a hard or expensive job since im going to do it myself and already have all the parts ya know? So should i just wait till the next tranny ? Anybody know some one that wants a set of stock ls1 heads off my 98 in good condition? They have 90k on them no cracks or anything in them. Would be great to mess around with i would imagine... i dont want hardly anything for them.

Make sure you have the trans rebuilt by somone who knows wtf they're doing with high performance builds. I'd talk to Ellis with Speed Secrets to get that trans done correctly.

How long before you think you'll be rebuilding the trans? Is this your daily driver?

Mike

chapmansZ28
09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Umm it might be awhile before that happens no its not my daily driver just short on cash currently... And im haveing the worst time getting my car put back together from the head swap... I need valve covers bolts! The 4 center ones on each side... The heads where off an 04gto and i have a 98 ls1... So my valve covers had a different bolt pattern so i had to order new valve covers, got those and brackets but no freaking bolts to hold the valve covers down... I need these badly i hate waiting lol

ls1whip
09-30-2010, 02:43 PM
have you tried a chevy dealer? they might have them on hand

chapmansZ28
09-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Well i just ordered them from arp... Now i gotta wait another freakin 3-5 days for em to get here... Im getting so tired of all the bumps lol