PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1Edit shift points/3.73's need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1Edit shift points/3.73's need help.

Just installed a set of 3.73's and im in desperate need of help, also a newbie to Edit and im not at all familiar with tuning, if anyone can me set my shift points(because right now its shifting through the gears before i even hit 35mph) and exactly how to do it, if anyone can help me do this it would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-28-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If anyone could chime in, seriously i could use some help.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

First, you need to set your new gear ratio. There is a tire calibration page or something that has both the gear ratio and tire diameter. I believe when you change this, it scales your shift mph. If you don't do anything else, it should shift at relatively stock rpms. The computer has to meet both an rpm and speed threshold to shift. On the first page of the trans calibration window, the WOT mph and rpms are listed- many people will lower their mph shift speed artificially low so they know that rpm will always govern- no here is where I haven't seen a solid explanation- after changing that front page, you have at least 'normal mode' button that has shift and downshift mph by tps. I've heard that you should at least change the right most/WOT settings. If you want to tweak part throttle shifting, then you need to mess with the rest of the table. What I'm unsure of is how the table interacts with the rpm settings on the front- i.e., does the front only govern at 100% wot? And even if so, what does the right most setting in the table do ?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

actually on the drive home when my speedo was off, it seemed too shift at stock points, when i got home and changed the ratio it changed the shifts and now it shifts from 1-2 at 7mph 2-3 at like 13 and 3-4 at 23 approx.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is freaky. The shifts you mention are at partial throttle? You need to look at what is in your shift tables. Also double check your gear ratio entry and tire size.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, its just when im at cruising, i dont know the WOT shifts yet because im still in the break-in period with the gears. Does anyone have 3.73's and have a setup that works fairly well that would be willing to let me copy cause this shifting out all the gears my 30 mph is a little annoying.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 01-31-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you looked at what the front page of the trans calibration window is set at & the table by WOT? I can't open a '99 in my version of ls1edit, but if you put out the #s, then somebody can try to make sense of what you got.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well when i open the front page of Trans cal, it give me normal mode, hot mode, performance mode and cruise mode. under perf shift mode. it says 1-2 44mph
2-3 90mph and 3-4 255mph then if i click on perf. shift mode the table comes up and reads 187 in all the boxes and rows
Old 02-01-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Performance mode isn't used in f-bodies. The first column on the first page should be normal I think (performance is far right ?). And the the table for Normal, which will be the interesting part since it gives different shift mph for different throttle positions.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset01
First, you need to set your new gear ratio. There is a tire calibration page or something that has both the gear ratio and tire diameter. I believe when you change this, it scales your shift mph. If you don't do anything else, it should shift at relatively stock rpms. The computer has to meet both an rpm and speed threshold to shift. On the first page of the trans calibration window, the WOT mph and rpms are listed- many people will lower their mph shift speed artificially low so they know that rpm will always govern- no here is where I haven't seen a solid explanation- after changing that front page, you have at least 'normal mode' button that has shift and downshift mph by tps. I've heard that you should at least change the right most/WOT settings. If you want to tweak part throttle shifting, then you need to mess with the rest of the table. What I'm unsure of is how the table interacts with the rpm settings on the front- i.e., does the front only govern at 100% wot? And even if so, what does the right most setting in the table do ?
That answers one of my questions. I reset my Gear and tire size. then I went to set my shift points. Before I changed anything I noticed in the diffence state the chift points were lowered(as in mph - 1or -11) and i didn't even change anything. So LS1 Edit will change the shift points for you huh? Nice, I will see if these work the way I want them to. I just wish you could say at WOT to shift at X-rpm and be done with it. Any pointers here?
Old 02-02-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

For just setting rpms to shift at WOT-- (you can find with a search), lower the shift mph way down- shifts occur when mph and rpm are BOTH met...so then rpm will govern... Now the thing that is tricky, is I don't understand how the tables interact with that front page-lower the mphs on the main page, but don't mess with the %tps settings in the table below about 85%... change from 85% and higher upshifts to whatever you put on the main page... try it, log & see where they are really happening then...