LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Clearance issue with Meziere water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance issue with Meziere water pump?

Putting the car back together, got the water pump bolted up, went to go put in the radiator & fans, and saw the the pass side fan is hitting the water pump. I know tons of guys run the Meziere pumps on camaros, did you guys have to modify anything to make it fit?

I ended up removing the fans from their mount, and zip tying them to the radiator using spacers on each bolt hole. I know it will work this way, but is there anything else I could do?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

So you took the fans out of the shroud? If so, not a real smart thing to do. The shroud moves far more air than having just the fans out in the open. You have an electric W/P you must clearance part of the shroud to make it fit. It's extremely easy and takes mere minutes to do.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Young camaro
Putting the car back together, got the water pump bolted up, went to go put in the radiator & fans, and saw the the pass side fan is hitting the water pump. I know tons of guys run the Meziere pumps on camaros, did you guys have to modify anything to make it fit?

I ended up removing the fans from their mount, and zip tying them to the radiator using spacers on each bolt hole. I know it will work this way, but is there anything else I could do?
Just go redneck (like me) and hack the **** out of the fan shroud.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

I was worried about still having enough clearance with cutting the shroud.. I've got the HD Meziere, which is about a 1/2 inch longer then the standard. I'll mess around with it and see if it will clear though.

So everyone has to cut their shroud to get the Mezeire to fit?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

I have the HD and used a dremel to clearance the shroud. Seems like this is what most people have to do.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula383
I have the HD and used a dremel to clearance the shroud. Seems like this is what most people have to do.
Cool, I'll give it shot then. Thanks for the quick responses guys. BTW Formula383 your car is sick, my build is very close to yours. Watching some of your vids keeps me inspired to finish it
Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

I was worried about still having enough clearance with cutting the shroud.. I've got the HD Meziere, which is about a 1/2 inch longer then the standard. I'll mess around with it and see if it will clear though.

So everyone has to cut their shroud to get the Mezeire to fit?
I use an HD as well. I just used aviation snips to clearance mine... lol..... like I said, very redneck. BTW where in WI are you?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

I'm in West Allis, near Milwaukee
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People have been having to cut their fan shrouds for the Meziere since it came out.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

I'm in West Allis, near Milwaukee
Cool, I'm in Muskego (near Waukesha).
Old 09-30-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not to hijack but since we have some HD users in here including myself, were any of you able to pull off the ls intake conversion using the HD pump? I dont think you will be able to lean back radiator any when using the HD based on my car.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 97LT1
Not to hijack but since we have some HD users in here including myself, were any of you able to pull off the ls intake conversion using the HD pump? I dont think you will be able to lean back radiator any when using the HD based on my car.
yep i got my ls1 fast toys 90mm lid and 85mm z06 mass air to fit with my meizere HD pump...... Let me tell you though i dont recommend it. Huge pain in the *** and i have a VFN 3" ss hood that has about the same clearance as a chopped up stock hood. Lid still touches the hood barely, the fan is about a 1/8 or a 1/16 away from the hd pump.. i mean this stuff just barely fits.. or just barely doesnt, depending how you look at it. I had to make my own tiny little lower air box and screw the lid to it and only use the lower box as a rad support only. if i had to do it all over again i would have bought a different hood and used the stock unmodded box and lid setup. An slp lid or stock lid proally would have been much easier too
Attached Thumbnails Clearance issue with Meziere water pump?-ls1lid.jpeg  
Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by i420tom
yep i got my ls1 fast toys 90mm lid and 85mm z06 mass air to fit with my meizere HD pump...... Let me tell you though i dont recommend it. Huge pain in the *** and i have a VFN 3" ss hood that has about the same clearance as a chopped up stock hood. Lid still touches the hood barely, the fan is about a 1/8 or a 1/16 away from the hd pump.. i mean this stuff just barely fits.. or just barely doesnt, depending how you look at it. I had to make my own tiny little lower air box and screw the lid to it and only use the lower box as a rad support only. if i had to do it all over again i would have bought a different hood and used the stock unmodded box and lid setup. An slp lid or stock lid proally would have been much easier too
Still looks good. I am eventually going to try this, but feel my fan is already close to the meziere HD also. My fan shroud can sometimes come forward a small amount and touch pump. This will stop fan. It is purely a mounting issue.

Maybe I am missing something. Do you have an ac condensor still in front of the radiator? I am running a sunoco wide by vfn and I am thinking I will have clearance for the actual lid. My buddy gave me his old SLP (has cracks), that I might mock up things with. I am curious to see pics of closer in where your pump is.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! Yes i do still have my ac condenser in front of the radiator. I had to cut the fan shroud, the top of the radiator shroud, the aluminum radiator's metal top piece, the tabs on the radiator that hold the ac condenser, had to bang down the condenser and flatten the top row of fins to the first row of tubes, and cut the top metal support on the car in between the bumper and the condenser, i had to hack the bottom ls1 filter housing into just a rad support, had to trim the tall lips off of the lid, and had to try and stay sane will doing a project that i thought was going to be a simple short piece of cake,-which ended up being a long nitemare and pretty much feels like a hack job but it works great and i know i will beat my best ET so far with this let me know if you want more pics
Attached Thumbnails Clearance issue with Meziere water pump?-car-004.jpg   Clearance issue with Meziere water pump?-car-010.jpg   Clearance issue with Meziere water pump?-car-014.jpg   Clearance issue with Meziere water pump?-car-015.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clearance issue with Meziere water pump?