408, MS4, 799s, LS6, Mid Headers, 12 bolt 3.42, Nitto DR, MM6 - Pitiful Results

Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 408, MS4, 799s, LS6, Mid Headers, 12 bolt 3.42, Nitto DR, MM6 - Pitiful Results

Saturday night I head out to the closest drag strip, which happens to be Hennessey's new strip, Lonestar Motorsports Park. I waited a while to run, about 2.5 hours, due to the impending clouds overhead. I was about to leave when my buddies urged me to make just 1 or 2 passes.

So I go get tech'ed and stage. Small burnout rolling up to the staging lights, 1-2 seconds at most in 1st gear around 4-5K, and stage. I rev to ~2200 and the light goes green. I dump the clutch and mash the pedal and it bogs I continue with the pass anyway, figuring the rest of the data ought to be useful.

For anyone that doesn't know, it used to be an 1/8 mile strip and Hennessey converted it. The signs are at the 1/8 mile and at the 1/4 are (2) orange cones outside the lanes marking it. At night, they usually have a green traffic light marking the 1/4.

Well, it was 8:20 at night and they hadn't turned on the green lights and I only had my fogs on, trying to reduce the drag. I had no idea where the end was and didn't want to have to realize I was way beyond when it was too late and the shutdown has ended. I was wrapping up 3rd gear around 6700 and held it for a micro-second. I figured by 115 MPH, I had reached the end, no need to switch to 4th.

WRONG. Apparently I let off before the end which resulted in a run of 12.67 @ 104.

I wanted justice for my shortchanging, so I let the car cool for about 5 minutes and dropped the pressure to 20 lbs. They were previously at 24 lbs on the first run. I go and get in line and right before my run, they let a 34 coupe with a BB, who was waiting in the Pro Tree Lane, burnout and stage. He did a huge burnout, maybe two, as the first might not have been enough. When his light went green, he did a huge bumper stand for a few feet and came crashing down. They shut down the track for about 5 minutes to make sure any carnage was safely removed.

I finally get up to the box. I roll through and do a brake-less 1-2 second burnout rolling up to the staging lights. I stage and rev to 3K. The light goes green. I dump the clutch and KABOOM! I sheared the rear u-joint which then resulted in the the yoke on the drive shaft being destroyed. My car didn't budge an inch. It was instant shear as soon as the driveline received 400 lb-ft of torque + gear multiplication. I didn't get to make another run that night and won't be able to until I get a stronger drive shaft. I figured the bald Nittos I have would of helped my shortcomings with the stock driveshaft. They dead hooked and sheared the damn u-joint, obviously on the S44 side and not the 1350.

Here is the sheet below for more scrutiny. Left lane BTW.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Ummmm.... I know you didn't run it out to the quarter, but your eighth is nearly a full second behind mine.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure what your point is, but yes, I bogged off the line and had a horrible 60' time. What was your MPH in the 1/8? 90-ish?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Not sure what your point is, but yes, I bogged off the line and had a horrible 60' time. What was your MPH in the 1/8? 90-ish?
Yeah, I MPH a hair over 90. Just sayin, your 1/8th MPH should be indicative of power regardless of bogging. 92 isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Do you have HPT? Do you log your passes?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correct, my power was never claimed to be glorious. In fact, I probably have one of the lowest power producing 408's on the board. I am at less than 450 rwhp. Torque, I have that spewing from every orifice. This build was on a major budget due to insurance paying for it. I reused EVERYTHING from my old 346 that hydrolocked. Only thing new is the 408 shortblock. Even more so, I am still pulling around 89-90 kPa towards the ends of my dyno runs.

I do not have access to tuning software as of yet. My goals and plans are always 3 steps ahead of my wallet. First I need a driveshaft, then I need new rod ends for the LCA and PHB, then I need new shocks/struts, then I need new Upper and Lower Control arms up front. Then I need a manual rack and bump-steer kit, then I need to upgrade my Oil Temp and Cylinder Head Temp gauges to either Aeroforce or Full sweep vs my standard short sweeps. I then need some M/Ts and some skinnies up front, then maybe HPT or EFI Live, then I need to rebuild the transmission with a 30 spline output shaft, new synchros, new input shaft, new forks and pads, new MGW shifter vs this B&M (Junk IMO), then some AFR 230 V2 with Fast 102 Intake and TB with Kooks 1 7/8" stepped to 2". The list goes on and on, while my savings grows a couple hundred a month.

This car is purely a street car, with a trip to the track maybe 6-8 times a year. This was my first pass down the track, not just in this car, but ever.

Search this Thread