LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Removal

Getting ready to put on some LT headers and I am going to address some other items while I'm at it. I plan on replacing valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets is there anything special to be aware of while I'm at it? I will also be replacing as many of the vacuum lines as I can get replacements for. Are the most of them Chevrolet only parts or can I buy the correct size vacuum lines and just cut them to fit?

I will also be changing the oil of course and coolant, what about the thermostat while I'm at it? Anything else I should look at while I'm getting the bloody knuckles already? The opti is only a few months old so it stays for now.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...oval-swap.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ould-know.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...questions.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...t-replace.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...row-again.html

Most of the hard vacuum lines are very resilient - it's the rubber elbows that eventually start to rot. See what you want to replace, then bring it to a parts store and look through the "help" section.

Changing the thermostat is a wasted expense if yours is fine.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I should have searched better. Doesn't look like I need anything special if I pull the whole fuel rail off the intake and inspect and/or replace fuel injector o-rings as necessary.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Inspect before you buy. No need to replace vacuum lines and valve cover gaskets if there is nothing wrong with them.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

I was just figuring on pulling the valve covers to give me a touch more room when installing the headers and thought they were a one time use is all.

This maintenance is extremely overdue, the previous owner absolutely destroyed this car and I'm trying to keep it running while improving/fixing it and still driving it. All the vacuum lines look suspicious to me because I can just pull them off with my hands using minimal effort and I have an off idle right now. The idle is probably a combination of a crazy exhaust leak/bad oxygen sensors/vacuum issues.

I posted when I first picked this car up, I pulled 50lbs, no exaggeration of excess wiring and bull$hit out of this car trying to clean it up. I was fooled by the nice paint job, should have known it was covering up an abused interior.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

I removed one of my VCs and reused the gasket, its a rubber gasket so unless it is torn or what not you can reuse. Just be sure not to tighten the covers too much you can easily over tighten because the bolt will just keep going until it most likely breaks. BEFORE you remove the covers get an idea of how tight the bolts are, or just follow torque specs if you have a wrench.

As for the vacuum lines you should be able to replace most with generic hoses as long as there are no crazy bends in them, buying ones precut will obviously cost you more in the long run.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

I would just get rid of all the junk on the intake if I were you. It's confusing to put back on anyways. Just buy a set of vaccum caps and go to town on it. Delete egr, AIR, EVAP, all that junk. I will look a lot better too. While it's off you can paint it too. They have some colored engine paint at most auto parts stores. It all pretty easy. I would if you're taking it off anyways.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Putting on headers at the same time, so removing EGR, AIR, and EVAP systems. Probably going to loose ABS as well since it doesn't work anyway. Should clean up under the hood a lot and actually make it so I can see a motor once it's all gone.

On the EVAP system did you just put a breather on the line coming out of the gas tank? Did you put it close to the tank or did you put the breather on it under the hood?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cumminsram06
I was just figuring on pulling the valve covers to give me a touch more room when installing the headers and thought they were a one time use is all. .
Nah. They are a heavy/thick rubber and actually would last as long as the engine. If they are not dried/cracked and you weren't experiencing any leakage then they are easily reusable.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

The most important item to remember is to place the intake straight down, don't replace it on an angle you will knock off the front and rear gaskets. Also, you must let the gasket sealant cure for 24 hours before you fire the engine, that step is very critical. Good luck with your mini rebuild.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSweet97
The most important item to remember is to place the intake straight down, don't replace it on an angle you will knock off the front and rear gaskets. Also, you must let the gasket sealant cure for 24 hours before you fire the engine, that step is very critical. Good luck with your mini rebuild.
You actually use front and rear gaskets??? Go get some "Right Stuff" from the local parts house....get rid of the crap front and rear rail gaskets and go to town. The last intake I put on was fired within 20 minutes and doesn't leak....and that was on Sunday last week....
Old 09-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by duh
The last intake I put on was fired within 20 minutes and doesn't leak....and that was on Sunday last week....
It's hit or miss. I've done it both ways too, yet have had better luck letting the sealant cure for a longer period of time.

Quick Reply: Intake Removal