Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Belt Squeal

Ok guys heres my issue I installed an ati underdrive pulley and drove the car on a road trip for about 250 miles I put about 50 miles on it before I took it on the trip. Prior to the trip I had no squealing at all upon getting to my destination and letting the car cool off I noticed that the belt would start too squeal when the engine was cold but go away once it warmed up.

I took off the main belt and realized it had to be coming from the a/c system I replaced both a/c pulleys but not the actual tensioner and it still does it. The belts were all replaced when the underdrive was installed but the a/c one was close to maxing out the stock tensioner so i got one a little shorter this morning problem is that the belt wasnt squealing this morning so I have no idea if it actually fixed the issue.

One thing I did notice is that the compressor pulley doesnt seem to squeal but if i turn the clutch on it by hand I can feel what is almost like sand inside of it...Could this be the inside going bad and causing it to squeal periodically? Someone had mentioned the pulley alignment but the tensioner pulleys all seem to be wearing in the same place the stock ones were, it looks ok by eyeing it up and the crank belt is dead on so I don think the crank belt could be aligned perfect but not the a/c....