Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 drivers side bank dead. Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 drivers side bank dead. Sometimes

Stumped. Only trouble code is lean on drivers side bank of cylinders. Will crank on 8 cylinders than randomly drop drivers bank or vice versa. Always drops drivers side only. Have combustion in exhaust when running on only 4 cylinders at idle, continually. When running on 8 will do also have exhaust explosions if the engine is reved quickly. New wiring harness from Hotwire was sent back to double check correctness as well as computer. Both reports as correct. Engine been sitting for several years, tank drained with new fuel and concentrated Gunk fuel additives to clean injectors. Help. Been wrestling with this for over 6 months!! No joy!! Mayo
Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 PM
8 Second Club

Is it setup to have seperate fuse for each bank? if so check the fuses. what are you swaping it into... i no when u swap a fbody v6 to a v8 you to add a fuse for the pass side bank
Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Problem solved. When I pulled the coil racks off the engine to paint them designer red I accidently got the drivers side of the coil wiring harness turned upside down when reattaching the coil wiring connectors. This was done before I ever started the engine so I never suspected this. What a nightmare! What a simple solution. Thanks for the suggestion. Incidently, this engine was a conversion in my 1980 CJ7 Jeep. After my first chance to drive it yesterday, it runs like a striped *** ape now! Wow!!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like a fun conversion you did with the Jeep.

Quick Reply: 5.3 drivers side bank dead. Sometimes