LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with relocating oil pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with relocating oil pressure sensor

I'm gonna relocate my oil pressure sensor from the block to the back of the intake manifold. I found a few pieces i need on summit and just wanted to make sure they will work. I'm relocating b/c this stock position now is to close to the headers and i don't want to have to worry about burning the wire and that area is so tight already. i know the are behind the intake manifold is tight too but sometime in the near future i will be pulling the manifold because i have the oil leak in the back that i want to try and fix.

I should state im going to be getting an a piller gauge, and it has 1/8th and 1/4th NPT fittings, here it is

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3327/

my first question is since i have a plug back there do i need 2 angle fitting pieces or will one of these 90s be good enough?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-991401ERL/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FBM2147/

Second question is
Will this plug work for the block? i found on shboxs site that its 1/4 NPT
I'm not sure if this is long enough? its allen head, would going with a hex be better?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-493203-BL/

Id appreciate any help, just trying to get all my parts correct from the get go.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Not being familiar with your specific setup, I think I know what your trying to do. Does you have a sender or sensor now installed on the block's China Wall?

If so you'll need a two fitting 'T' in order to install another oil pressure sender there. Why get creative? Just use the stock type 'T' fitting that allows a sender and a switch to be screwed into the China Wall location. So you'll end up with two things sourcing the same oil pressure source.

ECKLERS sells the "T", as well as GM just to name two. It's screwed in first, the the two openings correctly positioned and the two senders/switch screwed into the holes. The Allen screw is then used to block the vacated hole. Run the wire the needed length, plug it and you're done.

Vettes come that way and the opening above the oil filter is then used for an oil TEMPERATURE sensor.

I use Tefon tape on my threads but you can use Teflon paste if that's your choice. The trick with using tape - which I suspect is why some guys don't like it - is to wind it on correctly. It has to be wound in the correct direction.

Jake
Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the reply, My sensor i have now is just the one down by the oil filter. It doesn't work though, and i don't like it there(where early 94s and 93 came stock). I'm not going to have 2 im just not going to use the stock gague cause it doesn't work in that location. So im just moving this other sensor im buying to behind the intake manifold which is currently plugged(come from factory like that). I was just trying to figure out if that 90 degree fitting would work alone.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a 90* fitting will not work, unless you space it up...I'd look for a stock style adapter so it's really easy to install. Then pull the intake and do it all at once since it'll give you plenty of room to work. And as long as the plug you've got is NPT thread it will work fine, weather hex head or allen socket it doesn't really matter....
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you still have your egr? if not you can screw the sensor straight into the block. it works perfect. that is how i relocated mine.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for replys guys

Originally Posted by litch2004
do you still have your egr? if not you can screw the sensor straight into the block. it works perfect. that is how i relocated mine.
EGR is gone so if the fitting i ordered doesn't work i may try that, thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

FYI, it's really easy to put a 90 in the stock location and retain the sensor there. Once I zip tied the wire everything had plenty of clearance away from the headers.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

TTT on this.. tried just screwing my oil pres. sensor in to the china wall(have air and egr deleted) its wont go on by less a mm or two..

Quick Reply: Help with relocating oil pressure sensor