Sponsored by:

Motor washing and taping advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor washing and taping advice

Hi guys,

Just starting my LQ4 6.0 into my 74 camaro build. This is a total budget build and I am starting out with a 2002 LQ4 I bought from a junk yard. I plan on adding a LS6 intake, cam, valve springs, and katech rod bolts while the motor is on the engine stand before I install it. But 1st I will wash, degrease, and then paint the motor.

Have couple of newb questions.

I have been told that purple power used straight with no mixing will affect the finish of the aluminum parts on the motor and to mix it 50/50 with water to protect the aluminum finish. Anyone else heard of this? What have you guys been using thats good and wont ruin the aluminum finish. How about gunk?

Wont this engine degreasing and water rinsing leave the driveway a mess?

Also what kind of tape are you guys using to tape off the exhaust ports and other openings to not to get water inside the engine while washing and degreasing? I am sure masking tape may not hold after getting wet and may leak water into the exhaust ports etc. I am sure duct tape may leak and be porous too but at least it will hold up under water washing. Anyone tried plastic shipping tape? Hell the degreaser might even start eating that. Thanks for any ideas guys. Will be doing the motor wash and paint this weekend in my driveway.

Hpbob1
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used castrol super clean on my LS2 and it did tarnish the aluminum..... Wishing I didn't. I spent a few more hours on it with a wire brush to bring back the luster of the parts. It did however do a fantastic job of degreasing the engine. I used regular masking tape, and that didn't work very good. By the time I was done most of the tape was leaking, I removed the spark plugs, and blew out the cyl's luckily there was nothing in any of the cylinders.

And yes it made a pretty big mess, and my engine was fairly clean to begin with.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Default Taping and washing a motor, and later drive cleanup.

Hi Deserttaco,

That is what I thought about the tape. I am going to try plastic wide shipping tape over the exhaust ports etc, then cover that tape with duct-tape.

I will probably pull the tape all off after washing and then retape the motor before painting.

How did you get the grease mess up off the drive? My house is only 7 years old and I dont want to mess up the driveway with a big dirty grease stain from this motor washing. Anyone else have any ideas for cleaning up the grease mess and taping a motor before washing and painting?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Actually I did all of this in my garage. (house is 4 years old) but I sealed the Garage floor (U-Coat-it) when we moved in, so all of the mess just wiped up. By the time I was out in the driveway with the pressure washer, most of the really nasty/greasy stuff had already been removed and was on the garage floor.

Another idea I had was to shove paper towels down inside the ports before tape was applied, This way if/when the tape starts to come off, the towel will be there to soak up any water that gets by (a little bit anyway...)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

I cut up rags and stuff them tight as possible in all the ports. tape doesn't really work. Also use simple green, it's not the toughest degreaser but it will get the job done and not stain the aluminum.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner, just sprayed it on, hosed it off, engine came out really clean. In a few areas of heavy grease build-up, I had to use a stiff bristled brush to knock the grease loose. As for taping off the ports, I used a good quality duct tape.

Mike
Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Avoid the messy driveway and do it over a storm drain...

I have used Super Clean before an it oxidized the aluminium pretty badly. I'll have to try out the Egale One stuff on some spare parts one of these days.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just put a big strip of wide tape across the ports and used a couple cans of brake cleaner and some rags on the engine. Then I used some engine brite gel on all the non-aluminum parts, then a final hose down. Everything came out super clean and took primer and paint without incident.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Load the engine and stand on a trailer, then drive up to one a "Bubble Brush" carwash...they typically have engine cleaner and warm/soapy water in the pressure sprayer. No mess for you to clean up.
I've also used simple green on aluminum, works pretty good when used with a brush. Might want to use some kind of alcohol or acetone to remove any residue before painting, tho not sure if necessary.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike52
I used Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner, just sprayed it on, hosed it off, engine came out really clean. In a few areas of heavy grease build-up, I had to use a stiff bristled brush to knock the grease loose. As for taping off the ports, I used a good quality duct tape.
I've been trying to find something that will clean up the oxidized aluminum and this looks like just the ticket. Degreasing is a bonus. I'll give it a try!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Tide Powder with enough water to make a paste out of it. Let it sit for 10 miuntes and start scrubbing. It will leave no residue. No petroleum smell. If grease is thick, scrape off the excess first or just apply a second coat. You might want to wear gloves too. I didn't believe it worked until I tried detailing the engine compartment of my 94 Chevy K1500. It doesn't look like it has 376xxx miles and 16 WI winters on it.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Duct taped the intake runner ports, flipped the exhaust manifolds upside down and stuffed a rag in the holes. Simple green and a wire brush to knock the majority off, then let a good coat of simple green soak for an hour, then hit it with a 5000psi pressure washer holding the tip 2-3" away. Engine looks brand new. Also, the pressure washer does a great job of removing those nasty graphite head gasket remnants without risking the soft aluminum
Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Teching In

best way to avoid getting any water in the cyl's pop the vavle covers and loosen the the rocker bolts closes all the valve and all you have to do is blow out the ports, after you tighten the rockers back up pull the spark plugs and spin the motor a couple of times if anything leaked by, the compression will push it out. WORKS EVERYTIME.

cleaning- Brake clean or powdered laundry soap and buy a few different size brass wire brushes no steel bristles the long BBQ ones work great
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ehhh, if you're retaining the EFI and doing headers, you can't hardly see anything anyway, I say why bother?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Teching In

I have to bring this old thread back. I used formula 88 on my engine parts and just like the rest of you guys it oxidized all of the aluminum parts. What can I use to bring parts back to normal. I also did my pistons and the are now discolored.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Used dish soap and dish brush then sprayed down with brake clean.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Ok, cool. Thnks 71....

Quick Reply: Motor washing and taping advice