Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuses on charging & main electrical system

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuses on charging & main electrical system

Do you need to put a fuse or breaker on the main power wires on your wiring system? Fore example: alternator to battery, main fuse box to battery, etc?

I have taken these wires off of late model GM cars before. Usually they are 6ga copper wires with a red jacket, and on one end, the 6ga red wire will be spliced into a smaller black wire that says "fusible link - 8cm^2". Now I know the 8cm^2 (squared) is the metric equivalent of US AWG/wire gauge, and 8cm^2 is considerably smaller than 6ga. Is this some sort of fused wire?!?!

When I started to make my alternator wire, I cut off that black 8cm^2 end, but now I am thinking that maybe I should keep it? At first I thought it had something to do with fitting the wire through a tight space or cost savings, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a fusible link, I would keep it.

Personally, I like to copy what the factory does, I just ordered OEM fuse boxes and connectors for my next project to keep everything the OEM look.

a manufacture will not add a short piece of wire for cost savings or for a tight fit, there is a lot of proper testing and routing that comes with a vehicle (only exception is LHD conversions on RHD platforms like the GTO, the wiring has chafing issues in some places)

Ryan
Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! I was reading "fusible" as "capable of being fused" or "capable of having a fuse installed." I thought maybe it was something the wire manufacturer printed on the wire to state the obvious. However, "fusible link" has a very different meaning, as you pointed out:

Wikipedia, for what it's worth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusible_link
"An electrical fusible link is a type of electrical fuse that is constructed simply with a short piece of wire typically four [American wire gauge] sizes smaller than the wire that is being protected. For example, an AWG 16 fusible link might be used to protect AWG 12 wiring. Electrical Fusible links are common in high-current automotive applications. The wire in an electrical fusible link is encased in high-temperature fire-resistant insulation to reduce hazards when the wire melts."

I think I am going to run one of these wires to my main fuse panel as well (also from an Impala.)

The Impala that I took this wire out of has a 125 amp alternator, and I think my Camaro alternator is 102 amps, so the wire should work fine. Now I have to go and dig one out of a wiring harness...

Originally Posted by slow
that is a fusible link, I would keep it.

Personally, I like to copy what the factory does, I just ordered OEM fuse boxes and connectors for my next project to keep everything the OEM look.

a manufacture will not add a short piece of wire for cost savings or for a tight fit, there is a lot of proper testing and routing that comes with a vehicle (only exception is LHD conversions on RHD platforms like the GTO, the wiring has chafing issues in some places)

Ryan

Quick Reply: Fuses on charging & main electrical system