Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering wheel control customizing....

Old 01-28-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering wheel control customizing....

I have an aftermarket radio sooooo....

Can anyone help me use relays or whatever to make use of the controls?

E.G.

Volume up/down to control a cutout.

or another button to open a remote bottle opener.

Any schematics would help or a wire diagram and what each switch on the wheel does.

Thanks,
Old 01-29-2004, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

i'm working on this now. the problem is the buttons are all momentary so bottle opener, purge, cutout are all fine. I want to use mine as an arm switch. The little flat plug that you pulled out of the back of your factory deck is the wiring harness for that. Grab your test light and try one at a time and figure out which button is which
Old 01-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

A test light won't do you much good...the switches are set up to introduce different measured resistances into a common circuit. There is a single power supply wire that feeds through to a single output wire. Pressing one of the switches diverts the current through a fixed resistor that corresponds to that switch. The radio measures the resistance and determines which switch was pressed.

You could figure out the resistance values for each switch using a multimeter or I can get them for you later when I get home. In any case, it won't be a simple matter of triggering a relay to control something else - you'll need to build a more sophisticated system in order to use the switches.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what I thought whitebird00 I know where the wires are. I already put them on the meter.

Anyone know of a company that specializes in such things. I am sure a lot of guys here could use those controls they are so convenient.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Launching!

I could do it... but not without (an expensive) microprocessor. Hmm... let me research this a bit more...
Old 02-10-2004, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Here comes the invention of another easy mod!!
Imagne arming your NOS, hitting your NOS, holding your line lock, opening your cut out's, hitting your timing retard - all with your factory steering controls!!
EVERYONE that tossed their factory radio has something they could use those buttons for.
I wish I knew electronics, I'd be all over this idea!

Search this Thread