Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Can't Get by Inspection and im in a real jam

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP Can't Get by Inspection and im in a real jam

Alright well since i put my car on the road this year i haven't been able to get my computer read to pass inspection i keep getting that it is not ready and i won't pass. Now there are a few problems here my registration just expired and i got a ticket the other day. My battery terminals are also loose no matter how tight i make them so everytime i finally get some miles on the car my computer resets. I have to adjust the cables and then im good to go again.. Now the problem is i had a new motor installed in the formula from about 2 years ago. I havent had any problems in the past with getting this read now this year i put 500 miles on the car and it still gave me a message that it wasn't ready. Im basically ripping my hair out not knowing how I am gunna pass inspection. I was able to get a friend mechanic to give me the inspection sticker that covers me until january but the problem is dmv records do not show my last passing inspection since 2008. I need my car to pass and my car passed every other test safety etc.. i just cant get this computer read no matter what i do. What are my options and what can I do? I didn't plan on taking the formula off the road yet but Im thinking that i might have to and then put my jeep back on the road because of this situation.. Any ideas? The mechanic i spoke with advised me to change the battery cables see if that helps and see if the computer can be read after driving it around. Problem here however is that I will get a $65 dollar ticket everyday for no registration until i can get this car to pass inspection. Is there a way to know if the computer is working or if it keeps resetting itself? Like i said im still getting a not ready even when i had 500 miles on it. So i definetly think theres a problem and i have no idea how to go about fixing it or testing it etc. Im located in Queens NY any ideas?

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 10-04-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98FoRmULa_BiRd
Alright well since i put my car on the road this year i haven't been able to get my computer read to pass inspection i keep getting that it is not ready and i won't pass. Now there are a few problems here my registration just expired and i got a ticket the other day. My battery terminals are also loose no matter how tight i make them so everytime i finally get some miles on the car my computer resets. I have to adjust the cables and then im good to go again.. Now the problem is i had a new motor installed in the formula from about 2 years ago. I havent had any problems in the past with getting this read now this year i put 500 miles on the car and it still gave me a message that it wasn't ready. Im basically ripping my hair out not knowing how I am gunna pass inspection. I was able to get a friend mechanic to give me the inspection sticker that covers me until january but the problem is dmv records do not show my last passing inspection since 2008. I need my car to pass and my car passed every other test safety etc.. i just cant get this computer read no matter what i do. What are my options and what can I do? I didn't plan on taking the formula off the road yet but Im thinking that i might have to and then put my jeep back on the road because of this situation.. Any ideas? The mechanic i spoke with advised me to change the battery cables see if that helps and see if the computer can be read after driving it around. Problem here however is that I will get a $65 dollar ticket everyday for no registration until i can get this car to pass inspection. Is there a way to know if the computer is working or if it keeps resetting itself? Like i said im still getting a not ready even when i had 500 miles on it. So i definetly think theres a problem and i have no idea how to go about fixing it or testing it etc. Im located in Queens NY any ideas?
Are you talking about the readiness monitors?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Launching!

yea you know those handheld computer things that they connect when doing an inspection.. basically gotta pass four of them if they're not ready you know your gunna fail inspection. They keep saying not ready.

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 10-04-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have tuning software? You either need to fix it, or tune it.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Launching!

unfortunately I don't have any tuning software and am also not familiar on how to tune, but I am good with computers and electronics so if its not too difficult or expensive i can try to go that route..I have my car garaged at a friends right now so I dont get anymore 65 dollar tickets. I plan on driving alot on Thursday on my day off and see if i can get a reading. The mechanics check it for me for free so we'll see.. If it still cant be read I am just going to put the car away for the winter and put the jeep on the road and worry about it next season.. Do these computers on these cars die easily? I just dont know what could have caused it. maybe that battery cable being loose and constantly turning it on and off killed it who knows. Maybe its just the battery not making a good connection too. maybe the computer is just shot. Im clueless on this issue thats why I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the car stock or do you have mods? Still have rear cats and o2's? A few different problems could cause this.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like your battery just has worn out threads in the terminals and the cables can't stay tight in them...the terminals are only lead, it only takes cross-threading, or overtightening once to make a mess.

I'd put a NEW battery in the car with NEW studs in the battery cables (the cables themselves are probably fine, and you can replace just the studs)...then tighten them properly with a battery wrench, and the car should be able to pass it's readiness monitors within 50 miles of driving...look up the "driving cycle" information, it basically tells you what speeds/distances you need to go for it to be able to make all it's tests.

OR you need to find someone with tuning software...but that still won't fix your battery issue.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Launching!

thanks for the advise i'll try getting doin that battery thing im going on a long drive on Thursday and we'll see after doing the driving cycle if its ready. I doubt it will be i spent a whole day and drove 500 miles and it still wasnt ready with like 20 key clicks stop go highway traffic and all and still no luck so we'll see what happens. I wish there was a way to just know if the computer was bad? if it still gives a reading and gets like 3 out of the 4 checks completed it means that its still good and maybe a sensor went bad right or that I just need to keep driving right? Now if someone has tuning software how would that make me pass with the little problem im having? what exactly would need to be done?

Last edited by 98FoRmULa_BiRd; 10-05-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP Can't Get by Inspection and im in a real jam