Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe v. Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-pipe v. Y-Pipe

Looking for some opinions on advantages and disadvantages of x v. y pipe, specifically looking at LPP headers more than likely and there y or x pipe..

thanks for the input

Will take advice towards other headers going on a 99 camaro
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Ive had both on my long tubes. The Y-pipe is nice because it will fit the factory location with minimal interferance problems, but obviously is a bit more restrictive, but most guys on here wont need more exhaust flow than a 3in Y and they will bolt up to pretty much any catback system out there. I have TSP's X pipe and true duals now. I love the sound, but the clearance sucks, I am also lowered. They dump before the axle and cause a lot of drone inside the cabin. I would like to eventually get them routed out the back of the car so they dont dump right underneath, I think this should take care of most of the drone. But space to run a full set of duals out the rear is very limited but can be done.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks that helps alot yea i know the x is alot more work lol
Old 10-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Jeepers what mufflers did you end up going with on your x pipe? I have QTP LTH's and QTP orY pipe running to a GMMG cat back. My **** is extremely loud and I have a ticket because of the noise. I was thinking of getting a muffler on the I pipe or just changing the exhaust system completely. I'm also lowered 1.5 in. I scrape everything with my current set up
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My thread, using LPP headers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...pics-vids.html
Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was obsessed with getting X pipe but i went 3inch Y and honestly am happy with it, great clearance more than enough flow i guess and less trouble with fitments. if i had to do it again ill go with a Y pipe.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

It really depends on what type of exhaust setup you want - duals or a single-pipe system. X for duals, Y for single pipe.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

X-pipe creates more power and sounds wayyy better. Even an h-pipe is better than a y-pipe. I would never put a y-pipe on any car. My x-pipe scrapes every now and then, very rarely. Big deal.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

do you have a pic of your setup? are you lowered?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatmat80
do you have a pic of your setup?
Yes

Originally Posted by fatmat80
are you lowered?
Hell no
Attached Thumbnails X-pipe v. Y-Pipe-p1030563.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An X-pipe will flow better which is what your engine wants. The problem though will be clearance. Most pre-fabbed pieces like to either sit too close to the torque arm which means they will hang a bit low, or are limited by the floor pan. Most custom set-ups can get expensive, especially if you go all the way out the back. Otherwise you dump at the axle which leads to noise in the cabin.

A properly set-up Y-pipe will scavenge well enough to cover the perceived flow restrictions, usually by running 3" into a proper Y-merge that doesn't have the airstream colliding at near 90 degrees. Then having that go into a 4" I-pipe and back into a 3" cat-back and a cut-out for good measure in there. Less issues here with clearance under the car as well since it can ride partially in the tunnel gap.

The deciding factor for a lot of people then become sound. I like how my TSP's sound with the dynomax bullets fed by long tubes. Especially over the LM1 I used to have on there that had shorty headers and no cats feeding them.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The x pipe has a scavenging effect on the exhaust gasses but the gains are minimal. Some people say one to two rwhp but that is well in the margin of error of a dyno IMO. Sound should be the deciding factor here.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Sound should be the deciding factor here.
And x-pipe and h-pipe win big here. I can't recall how many freakin threads I've seen asking how to tame the rasp of a y-pipe/catback setup.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
A properly set-up Y-pipe will scavenge well enough to cover the perceived flow restrictions, usually by running 3" into a proper Y-merge that doesn't have the airstream colliding at near 90 degrees. Then having that go into a 4" I-pipe and back into a 3" cat-back and a cut-out for good measure in there. Less issues here with clearance under the car as well since it can ride partially in the tunnel gap.
I've seen a lot of guys doing the 3" - 4" - 3" setup, and honestly I'm not sure why. Unless you're doing a tuned termination chamber setup (there's a thread in advanced tech about it, https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...ance-none.html), bumping pipe diameter up actually slows exhaust velocity because you don't have enough volume to replicate a true "dump to atmosphere" condition. From everything I've read, one would actually want to go with a slightly smaller diameter pipe further away from the engine, in order to keep exhaust gas velocity high all the way to the tailpipe, thus increasing scavenging.

I doubt a stock cam/heads LS1 would really see much improvement with a tuned exhaust setup (at least, the benefits probably wouldn't be worth the time and fabrication), but when you increase cubes or go with a meaty cam/good heads, exhaust restriction becomes increasingly parasitic.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might see a pony or two gained with an X, more gains can be had if you dump it before the axle, but really sound is what the X is all about. IMO, best choice for an f-body. I've been told my car sounds like a vette multiple times (X and dynomax bullets).
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess that's because Vettes have an x-pipe from the factory, right?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by X-ray
I guess that's because Vettes have an x-pipe from the factory, right?
Yes they do and also the 2010+ Camaros
Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yes

Hell no
why do you have your rear O2s connected?! i see no cats. just curious.

EDIT: will it show ses light anyway? it only goes off by tunning it right?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear o2s aren't actually connected, they're just plugging the rear o2 bung holes, and the wires are just tied up underneath the car.

And the SES light does only go off buy tuning it, which I had someone do. Just passed emissions the other day actually since all they do is check the computer Actually my set up is still illegal because it dumps underneath the car, but I had a friend refer me to someone who doesn't care. When he was underneath the car looking at the exhaust he just told me it looked really nice, lol!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

The rear o2s aren't actually connected, they're just plugging the rear o2 bung holes, and the wires are just tied up underneath the car.

And the SES light does only go off buy tuning it, which I had someone do. Just passed emissions the other day actually since all they do is check the computer Actually my set up is still illegal because it dumps underneath the car, but I had a friend refer me to someone who doesn't care. When he was underneath the car looking at the exhaust he just told me it looked really nice, lol!
^ thats epic! where i live there are no emissions tests they dont care if you have duals long tubes or wtever jst make it quite so when its registration time just bolt my stock muffler lol

Quick Reply: X-pipe v. Y-Pipe