Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

another use for duct tape...door screw hole repair.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default another use for duct tape...door screw hole repair.

so i got the hinge adjusted on my door today so it no longer leaks air by the mirror, like it did in my post last week. the cracks on the door the body guy was talking about were actually under the door by the hinge, not on the lip. they couldn't explain where that crack on the lip of the door came from since he said they took the door completely off to do the hinge.

anyway onto the duct tape....

so i got home and noticed my bezel around the inside door handle was loose so i go to tighten it and....nothing. the freaking hole on the door is stipped

i had to go to ace hardware to get a square flat piece of metal that had teeth in it that would grab the oem screw since i didn't want to just jam some ugly oversized screw in there since its a screw you can easily see. so i get this metal square flat "nut" and some super glue. well i first tried to glue it onto the front of the screw hole but then i couldn't get the trim bezel to sit flush because apparently there is ZERO clearance between that hole and the trim bezel. so then i had to take the door panel off and try to attatch it ot the back of the hole. while it was kind of staying in place (with the screw tightened down while i held the piece in place) so i went back to the hardware store and bought some duct tape since i didn't have any. if mythbusters can use DT to keep a whole car together, i can use one little piece to hold a nut in place till the screw pulls it close enough to tighten. well it worked and now i have a tight bezel again.

so if any of you have ever dealt with a stripped screw hole in your door you can fix it with a flat screw nut (or whatever the hell its called) some glue, and duct tape.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that problem with my doors, my screws would pop out after a week! I drilled tho hole out slightly bigger and used one of those plastic retainers that have the screw in the middle. It's held tighter than I could ever imagine and it blends right in with the interior.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Swiat34
I had that problem with my doors, my screws would pop out after a week! I drilled tho hole out slightly bigger and used one of those plastic retainers that have the screw in the middle. It's held tighter than I could ever imagine and it blends right in with the interior.
if mine fails i might try that. right now i have it holding well with the stock screw. you can't see the tape or that piece i added even if you take th door panel off as its on the back side
Old 10-05-2010, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drilled mine out larger, added plastic epoxy mix stuff and drilled the pilot for it. . .
Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I was thinking about doing that but i wasn't going to drill anything, just fill the hole and try to drive the screw into it. i figured i'd end up with a huge mess that wouldn't work.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My other option was bonding a a wingnut to the backside with JBWeld and using a machine screw. I found the plastic retainer to be SO much easier and nicer looking. Its much more flush than a screw and I didn't have to take the door panel off to do the work!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Swiat34
My other option was bonding a a wingnut to the backside with JBWeld and using a machine screw. I found the plastic retainer to be SO much easier and nicer looking. Its much more flush than a screw and I didn't have to take the door panel off to do the work!
i had taken mine off the week before and the body shop had taken it off that day so i was used to it. although i for the life of me cannot ever remove the stupid power mirror switch but the body shop guy was able to easily do it.

as for mine, you can't even tell anything has changed unless you take the door panel off and reach behind the inner part of the door. the only sign is that there is some wear on the old screwhole from where it got bored out but even that can't really be seen unless the door panel is off.

Quick Reply: another use for duct tape...door screw hole repair.