Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a little help on knowing what all I need for a motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a little help on knowing what all I need for a motor swap

Okay I have a 98 v6 Camaro automatic...I need some help figureing out what all I need for it. I am about to pick up a complete v8 suspenion for the car. Im putting a huge fuel pump in it, im also getting the v8 speedometer and dash, rear end, and the ls1 wiring harness...do you have to use the lq4 computer or will the ls1 wiring harness and computer work? Im going with a lq4 with a built bottem end and Im going to do heads and cam Im looking to put down 500 wheel horse power all motor and spray a 225 shot...will I have to do more to the fuel lines or will they handle that type off power? Also I drag race every one tells me automatics are faster than manuals but I had a buddy who had a allmotor ls1 trans am running 9.8s manual so which one should I go with I cant make up my mind and I figure I would throw that question out there for every one as well lol... I will be very grateful for advice...
Old 10-05-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one major item will have in your swap of a 98 V6.. is to get a LS1 K-Member. If you can get everything from a LS1 4-Gen it would make it easier. ( I do have one for sale, but it heavy and costly to ship).

You could use a LS1 F-Body PCM and wiring that way most of the BCM and function will all wire up.

As far as the Auto vs Manual.. it really comes down to the driver and the car.. Auto's are easier to get off the line and more consistant. Someone who has some skills with manual can go just as fast (or faster) if he can get the power to the ground.

IMO, its more fun with a Manual. ! but that is only my 2 cents...
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you and I am putting alot off bmr suspenion parts on the car one off the things im ordering is a bmr k member and thanks for the advice I agree to the manual being funner lol and i guess it does depend on the driver