Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing a motor question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Storing a motor question

So i recently picked up a l59 for my build and have a couple questions about storing it until i can get it in the car. Motor will be on a stand in my basement, all accessories have been removed besides crank pulley. Removed the intake and taped shut the int and exhaust ports on the heads. Motor was shipped without oil, should i leave it this way or throw some in it? A buddy said i should turn it over once a week to keep everything free, is this a good idea? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lq4powereds13
So i recently picked up a l59 for my build and have a couple questions about storing it until i can get it in the car. Motor will be on a stand in my basement, all accessories have been removed besides crank pulley. Removed the intake and taped shut the int and exhaust ports on the heads. Motor was shipped without oil, should i leave it this way or throw some in it? A buddy said i should turn it over once a week to keep everything free, is this a good idea? Thanks for any input.
whats an l59? or is it just a typo?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Teching In

I would certainly pour some oil into the motor, also I suggest looking into getting some mercruiser fogging oil from your local boat yard or parts house...sometimes walmart has it. Read instructions and pour some into the cylinders. Use it every winter on the boats and it does a great job keeping the bores clean but more importantly it keeps the rings from developing any corrosion. If you wanted to be REALLY careful you could install dehydrator plugs. These are things that screw into the spark plug hole and which hold a desiccant. The desiccant is simply a drying agent, which absorbs moisture from the air, thus preventing it from getting into the engine. Depends on how long you plan on storing it and how ****-retentive you really are I suppose. I'd say fill it with oil, spray the fogging oil into the heads and cylinders, cover up and forget till spring.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chevyboy91188
whats an l59? or is it just a typo?
Its the 5.3l flex fuel motor..

Originally Posted by A-Body
I would certainly pour some oil into the motor, also I suggest looking into getting some mercruiser fogging oil from your local boat yard or parts house...sometimes walmart has it. Read instructions and pour some into the cylinders. Use it every winter on the boats and it does a great job keeping the bores clean but more importantly it keeps the rings from developing any corrosion. If you wanted to be REALLY careful you could install dehydrator plugs. These are things that screw into the spark plug hole and which hold a desiccant. The desiccant is simply a drying agent, which absorbs moisture from the air, thus preventing it from getting into the engine. Depends on how long you plan on storing it and how ****-retentive you really are I suppose. I'd say fill it with oil, spray the fogging oil into the heads and cylinders, cover up and forget till spring.
Thanks ill look into that stuff.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4.8L bare block sitting around, it has a fresh hone on it, from 4 years ago..

I had it in New Mexico for 3+ years and now in Chicago for over a year. I sprayed WD40 in the bores about once a year or whenever I can, they still look great, I can't believe it. I barely have a bag over the block, no problems.

Quick Reply: Storing a motor question